Clean debris from the fuel tank

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The vapor seperator tank is on the port side of the engine. It's aluminium about 8x8 inches and has a bunch of fuel lines going to it.

It's bolted on by 3 10mm bolts, drain the fuel from it first by loosing the brass screw at the bottom left corner then, you unbolt it from the engine then unscrew the 8-10 philips head bolts that connect the top to the bottom and pull the bottom off the tank.

The filter is on the bottom of the high pressure fuel pump, you turn it counter clockwise and pull it down to remove it.

Every hole in the screen must be perfectly clean or your engine will have a fuel starvation problem.

The screen is clogged with a gray matter like dust or corn starch looking stuff.

Soak it in power tune and then blow it out with compressed air.

Use a magnifying glass to look at every hole to make sure it is clean.

If you can't get it clean replace it.

Check the O ring style gasket that seals the two tank halves, If it is swollen or broken replace it.

Put everything back together in reverse order and you're back in buisness.

Your fuel/ water seperator filter must be 10 microns or less and even then the filter on the high pressure pump will need to be cleaned a minimun of twice a year.

Any questions call me at 732-245-3816

Capt Brian

When you changed the Racor did you make sure it was 10 microns or less?
What was in there before a standard or 10 micron?

The fuel goes through the water seperator, than on engine fuel filter, VST high pressure filter/screen, filter/screens on all injectors then into the engine cylinders.

Your fuel pick up tube in the fuel tank may have a screen in it either on the top or bottom and a Anti Siphon Valve.

Start at the tank and work you way towards the injectors.

If you haven't changed any of this since 2002 I'd just go ahead and start replacing the filters, clean the high pressure fuel pump filter and stop there.

Do you run Ring Free and fuel treatment for ethenol gas? It really helps alot to do so.

If you don't already have one get a engine repair manual from Yamaha or Clymers. Tons of photos and easy to follow dorections for almost every problem you can come up with.

Good luck
Fell free to call me.

Capt Brian

Capt Brian

I am using Racor S3213 filter changed in Sept 08. PIckup tube, elbow and ASV are new and do not have screens. I dont know when the main fuel line was changed and if VST filter was ever cleaned. I use SeaFoam and Stabil until this tank of gas is gone when will use Ringfree

thanks

The 3213 is a 10 micron filter. I change mine every three tanks of fuel (450) gallons.

If the VST high pressure filter has not been cleaned it is most likely your problem and I'd go there first. I have to clean mine at least twice a year.

It's pretty easy to do and if you get stuck or have question just call me.

Yes about 5 times a season. I get alot of the gray matter from ethenal fuel in my tank and water seperation.

Changing it that frequently cuts down on the time I have to spen cleaning out the VST high pressure filter.

When I got the boat last fall I completely drained the fuel tank and still have this problem

I think everyone who owns a boat should sue the gas companies and the states they live in to get non E10 fuel for boats. This stuff wreaks havoc on boaters and tons of money is wasted every year for some ridiculous and imagined enviromental return.

You got a bigger problem then.

Either water is entering from the fill cap or hull vent OR you have a leak in the tank somewhere.

What boat is this?

I burn way more than 450 a year and only change my filters once a year, and the show clean when I change them (nothing pours out).

salbrent":1xjcje93 said:
Capt Brian

I am using Racor S3213 filter changed in Sept 08. PIckup tube, elbow and ASV are new and do not have screens. I dont know when the main fuel line was changed and if VST filter was ever cleaned. I use SeaFoam and Stabil until this tank of gas is gone when will use Ringfree

thanks

Start with changing that old dirty Racor.....good filters but they do get clogged up and will cause the exact symptoms you are describing.

Back