Cleats and rodholders

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goinsfishin

Reaction score
As I have off work thru the end of the year and the weather here in MD is passable I'm getting a jump on my project list.
Started out by adding 8' mid-ship cleats for spring lines, picked the spot with care, drilled out, epoxied and bedded with 4200. Used some scrap 1/2 in starboard for backing plates with 1' flat washers and self-locking nuts.

Attachments

• Cleat placement.jpg
    Cleat placement.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 757
  • Backing plate.jpg
    Backing plate.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 757
  • Mounted.jpg
    Mounted.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 757
Very nice work - and a good way to pass time. Are the cleats really for spring lines or for Joe-da-dogs leash?

Next started on pulling out the gunnel rod holders and rebedding. the boat had some old plastic holders which are being replaced with stainless. I'm also adding another 30 degree pointed out at 90 deg from the hull and a 90 deg for clearing rods on each gunnel. The new 30 is going where the downrigger mount that I've never used is and new holes drilled for the 90's.
Started pulling the old holders and cleaning well, this is really dirty underneath but cleaned up decently, so I epoxied well and let cure.

Next is removing the downrigger mounts, these weren't sealed well at all and the wood is discolored and moist all around. It isn't rotten, as I found when I took the hole saw to it to redrill the hole for the rodholder. needed 2in instead of 1-1/2in and needed the angle in a different direction.
Am going to let dry for a couple days before epoxying to reseal.

Attachments

• Old Stern rodholder.jpg
    Old Stern rodholder.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 744
  • Old holder removed before cleaning.jpg
    Old holder removed before cleaning.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 744
  • Cleaned and epoxied.jpg
    Cleaned and epoxied.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 744
  • Downrigger mount removed.jpg
    Downrigger mount removed.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 744
  • That's Ugly.jpg
    That's Ugly.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 744
Very nice work Steve...
Thanks for documenting your project(s). :wink:

Got done with the rod holders over the holidays, everythings epoxied, sealed with 4200 and thru bolted. Have some gelcoat touch up to do with a couple holes that won't be reused but I'll have to wait for warmer weather.
I now have four rodholders on each gunnel, a 15 degree at 15 degrees at the stern, a 30deg at a45degree angle, a 30 deg at 90 degrees to the hull and a 90 deg vertical for clearing rods. With the rocket launcher on top I'll now be able to fly a 12 rod spread. Might have to get some extra rods !!
Some pics of the finished project.

Attachments

• Stbd 90 degree and cleat.jpg
    Stbd 90 degree and cleat.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 581
  • Stbd gunnel.jpg
    Stbd gunnel.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 581
  • Port side.jpg
    Port side.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 581
Back