Converting Storage to Livewell

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SommerTime

Reaction score
I have a 2520XL as you might know has a transom storage the width of the transom. Has anyone converted that storage area to a livewell. I have thought about it but need some ideas. One problem I am having is getting a certain female fitting to replace one of the drain plugs and finding an overflow pipe. Any suggestions.

There has been some discussion on insulating those boxes and using them as fish coolers, but I don't know of anyone who has built a livewell there... yet.

If you do, take plenty of photos because it sounds like an interesting project. :wink:

I was going to do it myself, but the square corners will be a problem. The bait will build-up in the corner and stay there till they die.

I have put plugs in the drain holes and used a bucket to put water in the box. I have not noticed the bait (spot) dying other than getting sluggish due to the lack of fresh water. I do understand that certain types of bait fish need to keep swimming in order to not die. So I believe if I can use a livewell pump and keep fresh water flowing the spot will be OK. However, the problem I have witnessed is that if you have a fair amount of water in the box and the sea is a little rough you will get water to splash and lift the lids and spray water every where. I'm thinking that installing a couple of baffles will calm down the water in the box. I have an idea as to how to do the plumbing but cannot find a female fitting to replace one of the drain fitting so that I can install a overflow standpipe. I have a wiring diagram of the boat and there is suppose to be a wire already installed in the harness for a livewell pump and operates off the same switch that controls the washdown pump.

Good point about someone else may not like my conversion if I am able to come up with one. I do have a wiring diagram of my boat from parker and the label on the rocker switch clearly says that the washdown and livewell are on the same rocker switch. Perhaps that is to keep from running the livewell and the washdown at the same time since they both take water in from the same hull connection. I was trying to use the fishbox for a livewell to conserve on floor space since I use a cooler for fiishbox and can slide it around on the deck to suit the needs of the day whereas the livewell is heavy and has electrical/hose connections. I guess a point of convenience.

I use both my livewell and washdown together simultaneously sometimes, and the water flow is only slightly reduced. My thru-hull is 3/4".

I understand have thought about wanting to use the washdown and livewell at the same time. I can make the decision to change the wiring when the time comes. I appreciate you thoughts on the subject.

SommerTime":eho8e0tt said:
I have a 2520XL as you might know has a transom storage the width of the transom. Has anyone converted that storage area to a livewell. I have thought about it but need some ideas. One problem I am having is getting a certain female fitting to replace one of the drain plugs and finding an overflow pipe. Any suggestions.

What size female fitting do you want ? 3/8, 1/2 or 3/4 pipe threads ? and how thick is the section you're putting it in ?

Hi boat 25, thanks for your reply. I'm no plumber so I usually go into the store and look to see what is approximately the correct size. I think the trades call people like me a "Happy Home Owner". However, I think it is 1" with standard pipe threads. But the kicker is that the fitting would have a flange on it to fit against the fiberglass. I guess there are other ways around with washers and etc. I need to check the thickness of the fiberglass that it will penetrate but I would guess approximately 1/4".
Thanks again for your reply and interest.

SommerTime":fbw47sfh said:
But the kicker is that the fitting would have a flange on it to fit against the fiberglass. I guess there are other ways around with washers and etc. I need to check the thickness of the fiberglass that it will penetrate but I would guess approximately 1/4".
Thanks again for your reply and interest.

You may want to look at the plumbing kits the Kodiak sells for people who want to plumb their own livewell. They may sell parts to "fix" the kits. When I made my livewell, it came with both male and female fittings, including the flange used to tighten the exhaust part of the livewell. Don't remember the site. Just do a search.

Hi,
I did that to my 2320. It's great.!! White water Marine did it for me. When I told him to do it, he told me that the bait will hit there heads because its not round. I had it done any way with a 2nd. Motor mounted next to the washdown. Put two drains in it and one inlet. Yes the tubs are hard to find. I lost one. White Water got me 4 more for me.They have them in stock. I don't use it for bait,I use it for fish, like Bass, Tuna. I did it so I donot need to bring ice every day. Also If I get a bass and then I catch a biger one I can set the smaller one free.What I did after they were done, you know that box that fits inside, I made a hole in one end were the intake comes in, then put a hole with a plug higher so when I go claming I put them in side turn the pump on and wash them or use it for a salt water sink. The boat rides better when its full. Here is my [email protected] -Sent me your e-mail and I will send you some good pictures. I tryed sending here but it will not take it. I will send it e-mail.
Your going to like it when its done....
Marty D.

Back