corrosion on window frames

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMD

Reaction score
Hi guys. I have a 2530 with the newer shiny window frames. When I got the boat I noticed salt build up and pitting on the interior of the window frames. Polished it off and it came back. It is only on the shiny aluminum and the black anodized is perfect with no problems at all. Also the outside is perfect with no problems. I have to wonder why they switched from the black anodized as it appears to hold up much better. I do like the look of the bright aluminum better. Can anyone tell me what to do. It gets on the frames when it is in the slip as well. Should I leave the windows cracked for ventilation when in the slip. It was locked tight prior. Also mildew bags I guess. What do you guys do. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR ADVICE.

I have the same problem, I try to leave windows open for ventilation and also wipe down the frames at the end of the day.

I have waxed them and put Fluid Film on them which slows it down but doesn't stop it. Going to try WD-40 this year from a suggestion on this board.

IT is a PITA. Thinking about powder coating the front windows.

Coatings or topical protectants is nothing but a prophylatic response to the symptoms ... youse guys need to prevent it from occurring in the first place.

I'd suggest dorade boxes on the cabin roof to properly vent the interior ... try a search on "dorade" with my "username" to get a few posts with suggestions and pictures :) .

The salt mist builds up on the interior anodized aluminium and slowly eats through the anodization. Once it is through there is now way to "polish" it back. The pits that are formed will always be there and grow if not maintained.

Polishing on a wheel does not do the trick either since it will actually polish off the protective anodized layer and then you really have a pitting problem. Trust me-I have done it on another boat.

The reason it does not happen on the outside is because we hose and soap the salt off and in some cases even if we don't the rain handles it for us. Due to the carpet, electronics etc. we do not soak down the metal on the inside too frequently so the salt can build up in corners edges etc.

The aluminium on the inside of the boat my dad and I just bought is pitted. We washed down as good as possible, polished and bought a container of Rupp Aluma guard "tissues"-Kind of like a container of baby wipes. We wipe down ever few weeks now and although the pits will never disappear it knocks back further oxidation and does help it look better.

I've got the same problem. I spent two hours with bronze wool working on the inside windows/windshield yesterday. Poor ventilation and not washing them down with soap and water like we do the outside seems to be the problem. Short of trying to properly ventilate the pilothouse, I'll use soap and water on the inside after every trip and a protectant regularly. I also removed the screens a couple of years ago because they seemed to trap salt and the springs on the bottom always rusted. When it's buggy it's usually hot and I have the pilothouse door open anyway,so I don't miss the screens.

Back