Cost to replace waterpumps

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CapeCodFrank

Reaction score
My Parker will be starting her fourth season and it was time to have her water pumps replaced. I have twin Yamaha F150s. The boat yard charged me $225 for parts and $667 for labor. Their hourly rate is around $100/hr, so they are saying this job took 3 hrs / engine. The mechanic "removed lower units, removed and replaced water pumps and reinstalled lower units." Does that sound like a reasonable cost?

I watched Andy @ SIM do the 150 HPDI MokeeDugway waterpump. I'm thinking it took a little over an hour but he gave us a running description as he worked so we could confidently do it ourselves next time.

FishFactory":ypzz93bb said:
Water pump kits are around $50, it takes about 30 minutes to remove 8 (?) bolts and change out pump.

Yep, easy as pie on a Yammi. My old OMC had the dam shift shaft bolt which was a PITA.

Wow sounds steep! Worst case should be 1hr for each motor and $60 for each complete water pump kit. The only things that could really change the cost that much would be either a minimum labor charge..ie 3hrs or they had trouble dropping the lower units due to corrosion or seized bolts which added to the labor. Unlikely though for a newer motor. No dought questions should be asked.

Wow Frank ..that boat yard beat you down!! That labor charge must have been a flat rate charge. Look around next time you can do much
better than that...Charging that much for parts and labor I hope they at least changed out your thermostats also.

Yikes, that price is very high. Any mechanic worth his salt should be able to do a Yamaha water pump in less than an hour per engine.

That's not right, but then again, they do hide behind the flat rate stuff.

John_Madison CT":of8x7qsy said:
Any mechanic worth his salt should be able to do a Yamaha water pump in less than an hour per engine.

So true, but the mech doesn't set the prices, usually the boat yard or business end does ...

Yikes, that price is very high.
That's not right, but then again, they do hide behind the flat rate stuff.
To me it was highway robbery! All car or OB makers have a service book, i.e., hours to do X task and for some dealers ... that's what they charge :shock: !

Sounds high to me but having worked on engines in the past, if you did not change them out for 3 years, you could have had considerable corrosion that would have made it difficult to remove lower unit bolts and the water pump key is metal to metal in the driveshaft so that could be a bear to get out if it had been there for 3 years.

If you do it yourself, it should not take more than a couple of hours and that would include stops for beer.

Well, thanks for the info. I thought 3 hrs / motor was high. I have asked them for more info... did they run into a problem, s this a flat rare, etc. I'll let you know what they said. Looks like I will have a couple of years to learn how to do this myself.

I am pretty sure there is a pictorial post over on Andy's (SIM) site....step by step instructions with photos. Maybe not the exact same engine, but most are pretty similar. That's what I used the first time and it is very easy to do.

Better off still, explain nicely how upset u r and show him prices from 2 other shops and then explain that you"TRUSTED" him but now u feel cheated and "ASK" for a "STORE" credit.....

never hurts to ask and all they can say is no!!!

Then if you know you r never gonna see them again ...tell him youll start an internet campaign letting them know how they conduct business .....just keep it factual "IF YOU DO THIS" you have to be able to support every statement or you will be held liable.....

I was ripped off on EBAY once about 8 yrs ago and it took a lot oof work but i got all my money back through a nasty but truthful campaign....

I am sorry that you got taken, like the others here i just do it my self !!!

And the boys are correct to tell you ......the first time it will take you about and hour and 15 min the second motor you will do in 45 min...its easy, straight foward, watch youtube videos, , "SHIP SHAPE" tv and you will be fine....

BUT REMEMBER if you are in warrantee you must use all factory parts and keep receipt, also make a video incase you make a mistake the person who reviews it will probably pick it out...

DH Edit: comment in poor taste deleted

Back