cracks in aft deck of 2004 XL

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonebuster

Reaction score
I have had cracks in the deck of my 2004 XL since I took delivery of the boat in '04. A couple around the rear hatch to the battery/bilge and other long hairline cracks a couple of feet long towards the center of the boat. Anyone have similar problem and how did you resolve it? Parker is giving me the runaround. I will attempt to download pics but I had trouble last attempt. Thanks, Mike

Tommy, I sent the pics of cracks to Robin by e-mail and she forwarded them to Eric in engineering. I told them the dealer tried to cover the cracks with some kind of thin white paint like material that just wore off after some time and the cracks are still very much there. Eric informed me that I had to take it back to the dealer. OK. I asked through an e-mail to Eric in engineering whether he felt the cracks were cosmetic or could present a problem with water entering wood in deck. Also asked how was the proper way to fix since there are many cracks and I'm pretty sure they must have seen this before. He e-mailed me back and said only to contact dealer because all Parker dealers stand behind their work. I wanted an answer from engineering on how to properly fix before I speak to dealer and I got no answer.

I have a crack on my deck 2002 and couldn't get a straight answer from Eric either. Left a few messages but he never would return my call. I'm getting it fixed this year.

I've given my own opinion about this for YEARS, as it affects ALL boat brands, not just Parkers. Their boats are built using a schedule, i.e., wood to glass layup, etc. that worked for years. Unfortunately, the gelcoat sold today, to Parker and others, is not as good as the gelcoat sold years ago. It tends to be higher in tensile strength due to reformulations forced by environmental controls and emission standards. Whereas years ago the gelcoat would flex with the deck, today's gelcoats crack.

That said, I would not accept a boat with such long stress cracks. But know they are indeed cosmetic and do NOT indicate a structural problem. I have seen 1st-hand boats (Angler) where one could stand pennies into the stress cracks. That boat went back ... (and even after repairs, was still a piece of c$#p ...)

This is just my opine, but the comments on gelcoat is from a friend who's been in the bizness for 30-years; he is a consultant to Mako too.

DaleH":1a0lthy4 said:
Unfortunately, the gelcoat sold today, to Parker and others, is not as good as the gelcoat sold years ago. It tends to be higher in tensile strength due to reformulations forced by environmental controls and emission standards. Whereas years ago the gelcoat would flex with the deck, today's gelcoats crack.
I have seen 1st-hand boats (Angler) where one could stand pennies into the stress cracks. That boat went back ... (and even after repairs, was still a piece of c$#p ...)
I wouldn't want a boat with stress cracks even if they are only "cosmetic". Are there early warning signs that indicate future cracks are going to appear? I am looking at buying a parker and this raises another area of concern.

Funny, I owned 2 Whalers prior to my Parker and both the Whalers had severe stress cracks. Never caused a problem that I know of. I was told it's because the gelcoat was too thick.
My Parker has zero cracks....

I've had a few about an inch long that I've repaired.... I just can't be worried about these things.... I'm getting cracks faster than my boat!

Thanks for the replies and let me say I've been very happy with both of the Parkers I've owned. I'm not concerned with the cosmetics and was only concerned about the wood underneath being comprimised. I know Dale is very knowledgeable about these boats and I'm pleased to hear he feels it's not a big problem. I'll go back to worrying about where to fish our fluke tournament this Sunday! Mike

For the record, and for comparison with cracks you may have or have seen on other decks, here are the photos of Stonebuster's deck. I think the last photo proves that it's pretty clear that the condition has not adversely affected the Parker's ability to catch fish. 8)

crack1.jpg

crack2.jpg

crack3.jpg

crack4.jpg

crack5.jpg

fluke.jpg

i am late in this conversation because i bought my 2520 after you guys finished with the subject. the '05 i bought has 2 long hairline cracks beginning from the bilge hatch diagonally. they are very thin and have no other associated cracks nearby. i personally am not concerned with them as they appear to be superficial. but i am concerned that eric at parker was not responsive to the inquiry in a professional manner. seems like that was a small item to explain what it ultimately was.(grammar) i'm sure a lot of decks have these. i personally think they have been caused by expansion and contraction caused by the heat and cold of the day/seasons. this happens VERY frequently in concrete, especially at inside corners like the corners of the hatch. :roll:

I have had nothing but great experiences with Eric and the entire Parker company as a whole. However with that being said you are asking someone to diagnose a very difficult problem over the phone who has maybe never seen it or a photograph. Stress cracks can be from a number of things and the last thing that a manufacturer is going to do is blame himself right from the beginning. They can be from stress on a certain area like a cleat, dropping something, flexing, hot/cold any number of things. If the cracks bother you grind it down with whatever you are brave enough to use dremel tool or a grinding wheel. Lay some glass sand it down and regelcoat. Cant imagine it would happen after that. If Eric told you from the beginning over the phone that it was because sometimes when they shoot the gelcoat it doesnt set up properly or sometimes they use too much hardener then no matter what you would be blaming them and he would probably get in trouble for suggesting something like that without physically seeing it. Im in manufacturing too so this kind of thing irks me a little.

Back