Cross member drainage

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I noticed some rust underneath and along side of the pads in the middle of a couple of the cross members on my Load Rite trailer. Water drained out of the cross members when I removed the pads and connection bolts to clean and paint the rust. That got me checking the rest of the cross members . I found that all of the ones with pads had water inside. Several had holes perhaps for drainage but located above the lowest area of the cross member. Some cross members had no pads or holes. Am I missing something or shouldn't there be drainage holes at the lowest point of each cross member? Seems a long term risk of failure due to rust and corrosion without the drainage holes. Is there a structural issue with drilling my own holes?

Your not missing a thing... It's a Piss Poor design.

Is there a structural issue with drilling my own holes?

Maybe ....... Maybe Not ...... Need good pix's.

Is the trailer galv. or alum ? Is the trailer boxed tubing or I beam ? Need pix's of the ends where crossmembers connect main rails and the centers of the crossmembers.... COMPLETE pix's showing overall and close ups.

The trailer is a Load Rite Elite. Aluminum I-beam rails with galvanized tube crossmembers and axles. Attached are some pictures of the trailer after removing the pads. I've sanded down the rust and coated those areas with zinc paint. I don't think I'll replace the pads under the front bunks as the boat never touches them and the empty pad attachment holes can serve as drains. I also think I will leave a gap between the bottom of the crossmembers and the pad attachment nuts when I reattach the pads so as to let water drain out of the bolt holes, but being sure to not allow the pads to move when hauling the boat. Don't think I'll drill any additional drainage holes at this time.

Attachments

• IMG_3158.jpeg
    IMG_3158.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3156.jpeg
    IMG_3156.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3161.jpeg
    IMG_3161.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
Yes... It needs drain holes where they did not put them. On bottom side front & aft of the dimple [lowest point.

They also need a hole thru the side of the frame rail so that the inside of crossmemberrs can be flushed easily.

Galvanized box tubes rust from the inside out, due to not being flushed.

Back