Dap silicone sealer OK above the water line

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rplas48

Reaction score
Hi folks. I am in the process of replacing the lenco actuators. The cable thru the transom took a little while as it was bedded in, I believe, 3M 5200. Has anyone used DAP silicone sealer that is used in fish tanks. It's about 1/5 the cost of 3M but more important I think it may be easier to remove in the future. Since the actuator hinge is 3-4 inches above the waterline it should be ok. What say you.

Thanks

Ray

I'd still use a good product, like LifeCaulk by BoatLife.

However, if it were my boat, where the hole is a hull penetration, I'd remove the wiring, drill the hole oversize and wet-out w/ epoxy, then re-rig and seal.

DaleH":13kggcqa said:
I'd still use a good product, like LifeCaulk by BoatLife.

However, if it were my boat, where the hole is a hull penetration, I'd remove the wiring, drill the hole oversize and wet-out w/ epoxy, then re-rig and seal.

X-2..... This may very well save a extensive transom core replacement.

Thanks for the reply. Will do it with marine caulking. As far as wetting out the holes with epoxy has any body used crazy glue. For small holes it may be easier???

Sometimes I'm amazed that People want to substitute products that are of skeptical nature for the product that is known to do the job correctly the First time.

More boats are ruined at the hand of ignorant or Lazy owners doing slip shot work.

I asked for opinions and don't need Wharthog's type of reply. I have had boats continuously for 55 Years and would never do things slipshod. That is why I asked for opinions. I have also been around long enough to know that sometimes products labeled marine are in name only and can be had in stores or auto shops for far less money. For example njk spark plugs usede in a Yamaha F150 at West Marine go for about $7-8 per plug while I bought the same plug in 10 pacts from Auto Barn for about $.80 apiece. Spoke to NJK tech folks and they told me the only difference was the packaging.

As far as crazy glue goes I have found that using it of bucktails and streamers....I tie my own....
seals the threads much better then epoxy as it is less viscous and soaks in. Bluefish damage is non existant.

I think one of the purposes of this board is to try different things and share with others in a constructive manner.

Ray

I have had boats continuously for 55 Years and would never do things slipshod.

GOOD! But you would not believe some of the CRAP I see.

You were given the correct product to use....and then you asked about using another.......Non marine product.....

So that is why you got that statement.

You may not need it, but the way you came off it sounded like you just wanted to do Slip Shot work.

I am with Dale on this one. For a VERY modest investment in WEST System epoxy, you can save yourself a huge amount of trouble down the road.

As for ease of use, pick up a couple of syringes often sold along sid ehte WEST products. Helps to get the epoxy where you want it with minimal effort and mess.

dave-j":5jgeficp said:
I am with Dale on this one. For a VERY modest investment in WEST System epoxy, you can save yourself a huge amount of trouble down the road.

As for ease of use, pick up a couple of syringes often sold along sid ehte WEST products. Helps to get the epoxy where you want it with minimal effort and mess.
Well, I for one never recommend West Systems at all. Good epoxy and prodcts, but expensive to buy and you need pumps to use.

A better value, at 1/2 to 2/3rds the price is Raka epoxy, www.raka.com , plus it is a simple 2-to-1 mix for most of their products, whether using a thimble or cup full.

No, I'm not a company paid spokesman ;) , rather just a highly satisfied user. The Raka sample epoxy kit at < $20 is a BEST BUY for the DIY'r boater! For ultra-thin penetrating epoxy, I use either the West Marine brand one or Git Rot.

Went on their web site. If you don't use pumps, how do you measure out the right ratios?

Also, for small projects I use hardware store epoxy in a double syringe dispenser that shoots out the right mix of hardener and goop.

Brent":1jzg3ndj said:
I use small med plastic cups. ... like the ones from liquid over the counter medications. ..... or cups from restaurants to dispense bbq sauces, catsup, ketchup, condiments. ... plastic coffee stirrers to mix
Same here, small cups, cat food tins and yogurt containers. For BIG amounts, stir quick and pour into big 9x12" cheap aluminum foil pan, so the epoxy spreads out wide and thin (non-deep) and doesn't cook off.

I have a '98 19ft Cape Horn here right now.

New owner and he's a little over his head. I made suggestions on electronic's and then he went to the local Marine electronic's store.

homer-doh_zps35a96b85.png

I knew what was fixing to be said....They sold him Raymarine Crap. :( I hate Raymarine and once again it proves to be Crap! [5.7 Dragonfly]

But back on subject....I removed all the plastic below the waterline thru hull's...They were all installed with Silicone. But to Cape Horns credit....The transom in that area was solid glass....No wood.

Back