dash getting full, would you combine AP into the MFD and get rid of the controller?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheapie408

Reaction score
On my 2120, I have a SIMRAD Go7 for radar and sonar on the dash a garmin 541s to one corner lower dash I have a 10" tablet that I run navionics on and fusion radio below that along with all the little random stuff that makes the dash really busy. In its current state my dash looks like a West Marine show case. To add to the mix, I just added an autopilot with the AP44. currently it's surface mount with a 3d printed bracket I designed and made velcro to the dash because I don't know if I would want it there or if I would want it at all.

I'm contemplating on just not using the AP44 and replacing the Go7 with a Go 9 or 12 and just control the AP and everything else from one MFD. I know folks really enjoy having the knob and quick access. Curios if anyone with an AP not using a controller?

20211102_150347_resized.jpg

I’m running Garmin, but I think having the controller is nice. Mine is set up similar to yours.

Attachments

• 173BFF39-48D4-40ED-9E65-DEC4EF236AA3.jpeg
    173BFF39-48D4-40ED-9E65-DEC4EF236AA3.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 34
I also have Garmin; however, instead of the control head, I put it on the MFD and bought the remote. I can control the AP from either and the remote is pretty small. It's not in this picture; but, I mounted it right next the throttles. IMG_3295.JPG

That's right, I forgot that we can also get a wireless remote. I gotta look into that and skip the controller.

I’m confused as to why you’ve got the Go7 as well as the Garmin, if you’re running charts on the tablet? Ditch the Garmin and either get another Simrad MFD in its place, or move the tablet mount there. That should clean up your installation substantially.

Either way, as far as the AP goes, if you’re really out of real estate I’d agree with @Antidote, use the MFD with a dedicated remote, preferably either securely mounted somewhere or on a lanyard around your neck. You want that STBY button or the jog buttons somewhere close in case you need to stop or make a quick direction change.

That course of action lends even more validity to ditching the Garmin for another Simrad screen.

The garmin has it benefits. It came with the boat and have a thruhull transducer that works really nicely at high speeds when the simrad doesn't pick up. It is also NMEA1083 that works with my VHF. having the backup navigation/sonar is nice.

My dash is busy but on the upside most of my electronics is old....:)6F0EAAF8-805B-406F-A249-9D877D7E812C.jpeg375F37F7-9896-44FE-A500-42EA5F85CEC2.jpeg

Get the stand alone controller, and mount it somewhere easily accessible that you don't have to reach for. Ideally where you can keep your hand on it when running.

I was at my boat today and snapped this picture which shows the remote in the holder mounted next to the throttles. It is very comfortable to control when sitting at the helm. My arm rests on the arm rest and I am able to control the AP with finger taps on the controls. I can also pull it out of the holder and put the lanyard around my neck if I want to control the AP from the cockpit. I only do that if there are others on board that can drive the boat and we are trolling offshore.
IMG_4241.JPG

My 05 have the 702 side mounted throttle so we don't have that dash like yours. I wish I did, I much prefer the top mount throttle. But I see where you're getting at. Planning on taking it out this weekend with the new AP and will have the controller velcro to the dash somewhere. it allows me to allow me to move things around until I find where it'll be most comfortable.

Simrad Go 9, Garmin 188c, icon M45 and Furuno 1623. Plus a little caddy for my cell phone. No AP for me, but I could probably squeeze the head in above the helm if I wanted to reach in between the spokes to operate it.
image.jpg

So after monkeying around with different positions this is where I ended up putting it. The empty space with the black velcro holds the 10" tablet for navionics. I can already see that if I replace the Go7 with a NSS9 or 12, i will probably not be using the AP44 all the controls I need is on the Go. Going to try it out a few trips and see.

20211104_125632.jpg

I used 3M body molding tape (two sided automotive tape) to mount the bracket in a couple of different places. That stuff holds tight I don't think I need to use any screws to keep it in place where it is.

Back