Dead Washdown Pump

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drvan

Reaction score
The (factory installed) Jabsco raw water washdown pump on my 2004 2520XL had been working intermittently and now has fully quit. I know some of this has been covered before, but what would you recommend as a replacement? I use the washdown pretty regularly and would prefer to install a better pump. If I upgrade the pump do I need to change any of the wiring (eg upgrade the fuse, etc.)? I would like to do this on my own but, while pretty handy, I am relatively new to working on boats. Thanks for any help.

By the way……….I think this is the best overall site for Parker owners and Dale (of course I realize with the help of many others) has done an absolutely terrific job!!!

Groco is definately the gold standard in washdown pumps.

If you use your pump a lot, and can manage a Groco, that is the way I would go. :wink:

I have a 2004 1801 with a Jabsco raw water washdown pump as well. The pump was also working inconsistently and died while out in August and I thought for sure I would need a new one. I decided to take the pump apart first and discovered that both of the contacts were corroded. I cleaned the unit, replaced the connectors on the feeds from the power and all is good. I was shocked to see non stainless hardware on a pump specifically designed to be mounted in a bilge. Some of the screws holding some of the plastic parts on the pump were completely rusted to the point where they had to be drilled out. If I have to buy a new pump I will probably go with another brand after seeing that.

Before you buy a new pump check the wiring. I just had to fix mine and it’s the one thing I have found about my Parker that flat out “sucks”. In the stern starboard corner after the wiring goes down into the battery box there WAS an automotive type plug where the extra wires join the factory wiring harness. If I had any idea that the plug was there I would have been able to change it out before it killed the wiring. I can’t believe they use such a thing on a Parker. Worked fine one trip the next trip not at all. When I checked it out I was getting 4 volts at the pump.

"TopShot 25"

You're the second one to post this. :shock: I hope it's a temporary fix to some "supply problem". Very "un-Parkerlike" as they use all tinned wiring and a factory built wiring harnerss.

Is your Parker an '07 as is the other boat?

Thanks to Matrix and TopShot25!!!

The problem was the wiring - exactly what TopShot25 said. I replaced the connectors and the pump is now working.

Take a look at this junction in the bilge (starboard side adjacent to the transom) - doesn't seem right to me either. How and with what should I replace this?

Attachments

• x.jpg
    x.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 2,091
when replacing any of the bussbars you should from that day on spray then regularly with T-9 Bosheild,this product will help keep your connections clean and rust free for a very,very long time,spray Bosheild every time you use your boat on all wire connections.

Robert

FishFactory, my Parker is a 2005 and that plug was part of the factory harness. I believe there were 6 wires involved in the plug. I still can’t believe Parker uses something like that.

Glad I could help drvan. I was going to post some pictures about it and I just forgot. If I get a chance I think I still will. We could use a forum called "Things a new Parker owner should do", or "Parker problems and their fixes".

Robert Cibran":zdsgiwi9 said:
when replacing any of the bussbars you should from that day on spray then regularly with T-9 Bosheild,this product will help keep your connections clean and rust free for a very,very long time,spray Bosheild every time you use your boat on all wire connections.

Robert

The above quote should be in ALL CAPS! And I would like to add include the powerhead, all wiring inside console, all wiring at transom. That bussbar "drvan" posted looks like it's made of carbon steel? :shock: The wires all have labels on them. You sure that's Parker stuff? I hope not. Reason I question is my bussbars are brass and no wiring has labels on it. Maybe installed by your electronics installer? Why a bussbar in transom, anyway? Can you tell what it feeds? Looks like all grounds.

Ive got a 2003 2520XL and that pic of the bus bar is EXACTLY how mine looked and is what caused my washdown pump to work intermittently. I replaced it before this season started.

arrrrrggggg :?

Why a bussbar at all? Why not solder (or bolt) them all together and dip the bundle in some Liquid Elect Tape? Or, move the "bundle" to its' origination and join to 1 large ground to run back? There's no such bundle on a 23 CC, that I've found anyway.

It just doesn't look right to me.

FishFactory":2q5u6pph said:
There's no such bundle on a 23 CC, that I've found anyway.

Nothing like that on my 1996 2520 either.
Curious...

Questions re: a Groco setup:

1. I have a 2100CC with a factory installed combo baitwell washdown pump sitting on top of the through hull. At the moment, I only have a baitwell, but there is an outlet for a washdown pump. Will the intake of the Groco unit work properly off this pump? I'm pretty sure I do not want another hole in the bottom of my boat.

2. I'm thinking of installing the Groco inside my center console and putting the outlet on the side of the console. Is that too much "head" (forgive me) from the stern where the intake valve and pump are located? It's not a lot of height off the stern, but it is about seven feet away.

3. If I did install in the center console, how would I get the hose from the transom up to the console?

It's a new 2100.

Thanks.

Just a related story, I needed a housing where the hoses connect on my Shurflo pump, it was cracked. I did a little internet snooping and found Shurflo parts at half the price of other places out of a place in Arizona that specializes in Solar Heating stuff. The part I needed was plastic so I took a chance an ordered it and it came the other day. Installed it and now I'm back up and running. If you need parts couldn't hurt to check them out.

Home page
http://store.solar-electric.com/index.html

Shurflo parts
http://store.solar-electric.com/repaforshwap.html

:D :D :D

BTW I have the same busbar in the same location on my 2003 2530 and it came that way from Parker. I asked the previous owner about it. He sprayed it so I do also, it has no corosion on it.

Thanks to everyone!!! I replaced the busbar and used heat shrink terminals. So far everything seems to be working well. Sprayed it with T-9 Boshield when I was done. :)

Attachments

• x.jpg
    x.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 1,728
Back