Detailing observations...

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finbreaker

Reaction score
So, I jumped head first into detailing our gently used 2008 2320SL today.. So far I am enjoying the process.. It's nice to work hard and then stand back and see instant gratification in all the rubbing, buffing, and polishing. I have a few observations from the few products I tested today and thought I would share... I really like the Woody Wax product, you can really see immediate results with dull and pitted metals, it really brought the rails and rocket launchers back to life. Next I will try the Woody Wax on our pitted window frames inside the cabin... I waxed the top of the Pilot house with Meguiar's Marine Cleaner Wax by hand, and that came out very nice and now the top of the boat is protected from the elements! My big disappointment today was the work I put into the hull. Our boat was shipped from North Carolina and the hull had light oxidation and some strap marks from where the shipper strapped the boat down to keep it secure on the trailer for the 2700 mile trip to California. I did a lot of research and finally decided on the Shur hold Dual Action Polisher and their Buff Magic product. I even watched the video on the Shur Hold website to be sure I was using the buffer and product correctly. I spent all afternoon today with the buffer and Buff Magic, and after getting about 2/3 of one side of the hull buffed and wiped with the microfiber towel, and although the hull felt smooth after application, it really didn't remove much oxidation or even the strap marks on the hull from shipping. Then a guy who details boats at the boat yard where I store my boat walked over with a rag and a drop of Meguiar's #67 Marine One Step Compound and rubbed a little into the hull where I had already buffed, and you could clearly see the difference in the oxidation removal- and he did it by hand while I was using my "Professional Buffer"! Anyway, he said the orbital buffers are just to delicate and not aggressive enough, so at the very least I am returning my orbital buffer to replace it with a rotary buffer. I know that the Shur Hold company says if there is heavy oxidation, more than one application of Buff Magic may be necessary, but I don't have the time or patience to do multiple applications when another product works better the first time. Has anyone out there ever used the #67 Meguiar's? Apparently it is an all in one compound and polish, but the Shur Hold company requires the Buff Magic followed by application of their Pro Polish afterwards. So for those that have used the #67 Meguiar's, do you wax or polish your boat after using this one-step product? Thanks and I hope this helps some other folks!

I have always been a big proponent of 'West Marine cleaner wax' in liquid form.

For tough spots I hit it with Starbrite rubbing compound first then follow up with the West Marine product. Both by hand and electric buffer.

I would love to be able to hire this process out to someone. However to date, I have never found anyone that can wax my boats to my satisfaction :D

Cheers

Back