Detailing question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the Griots Garage instant detailer on my collector car while killing time at a car show.
West Marine sells a similar product for boats.
Most of those instant detailer products contain silicone and they work well for a quick shine.

Hey Capt. Kevin, have you ever used Meguiar's #67 One Step Marine Compound and Polish? I tried the Buff Magic today and someone showed me a side by side comparison of Buff Magic and the #67 Meguiar's on my hull. I could see a big difference in oxidation removal with the Meguiar's compared to the Buff Magic.

I just went back and re-read Megabyte's "2014 Spring Commissioning" thread and I don't know why I didn't see the results on the hull that others saw with the Buff Magic Product. The only thing I can think of it that the Shur Hold Orbital buffer is just too wimpy to do the job... I really want to like the buff magic product though... I am also nervous about using the Meguiar's #67 One Step compound because I don't want to over-do it on the hull, and I'm not sure a combination compound and polish is a good thing... Kind of like a combination TV/DVD player..... The quality suffers in combination products...

Understand that the Buff Magic products is a mild compound. It do s not have any protective agent in it. The purpose of that product, or any product like it, is to remove oxidation - period. Sealing the surface after removing the oxidation is left to another product.

The Meguiars product is a combination polish and wax. It is used for less oxidized surfaces.

When I used the Buff Magic product, I followed it up with a one step product like the Meguiars product. After that, I used a straight carnuba wax. In my case, it was a three step project.

What it comes down to is...
1. How oxidized is the surface?
2. How clean and close to perfect are you willing to put in the time to get it there?

I had the time, and decided to make it better than new.
How you decide to do yours is totally up to you.

It is a personal thing. It's not a contest. :wink:

I see that I have much to learn in the boat detailing arena... After looking at the pictures of your hull in the Spring Commissioning thread, I was using that as the standard to be matched. I guess I thought I could transfer my car detailing expertise over to boats, but I am learning it is a totally different beast. But I am learning... I agree the Buff Magic is definitely a mild product, which is probably good because I didn't damage my gelcoat first time out. But I also realize that at this point in my life, working a busy job every day and only having Saturdays to fish and relax, I am going to have to accept a slightly less shiny hull for now. I think I am going to hire the pro at my boat yard to work his magic, then I will finish up with a coat of Collinite Past Wax so I can at least say I had a small hand in the project! Thanks again for all the great advice...

Back