Diesel Outboard Footage

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pretty tall and goofy looking. i would imagine it would be pretty loud. not to mention if the power gets bigger its going to take one hell of a lower unit to keep up with the torque.

The diesel "wine" would be annoying to say the least, combined with the sound Brad said. Also, I wonder what its gph is compared to a 4stroke. Until those are just as reliable as a true inboard and the power/fuel economy is that much better I would rather troll a 4 stroke yammy then deal with the smell of some diesels on the back of my boat

They look cool though, I'm interested to see these things evolve. The marina I worked at when I was younger had one, about a 20hp on a workboat we used for pushing boats around. Dont recall using it too often though.

Why burn diesel ? Imagine fueling up with veggie oil or something other than a petroleum product ... :shock:

Diesel outboards never have taken off to the masses. I bet with newer turbo, fuel injection technology they will find a spot on larger boats like the 34' Parker. I've heard they have some 250hp plus size outboards that are more fuel efficient than the 4 strokes and have a greater power to weight ratio as well. I don’t think the smell is an issue as newer diesels run nearly as clean as 4-stroke gas motors and besides I would rather smell diesel than two stroke oil any day. :wink:

UH......my ears are ringing just watching the video. looks like a vintage Merc toaster-style engine. i am sure the efficiency beats a 4s though. (?)

Because diesels are compression ignition, their blocks are much more robust than a gas motor, so I'm wondering about the weight factor of a diesel outboard.

Cool motor though. :wink:

Looks like a start to me, I'm waiting for the hydrogen power outboard though. :wink:

You know, the one that runs on saltwater.

I still think it is a little too small and at 700LBS+ it is a big boy. Exciting step in the right direction though.

I found a few light truck turbo diesels for HP comparison. While I am sure that the torque is high, even with low gearing large props will still run out of rpm.

They are very careful never to tell you the HP so they dont turn off buyers.

They are offering a 2.6 liter and a 3.0 liter engine.

I found similar inline 4 turbo charged small truck diesel.
2.8 liter = 125hp
3.2 liter = 150hp

So that is what I would expect max out of each engine.

While I can see the 150hp working on a 25ft Parker it would have to be a 20mph cruise and a 25mph top end.

To be fair the diesels listed above built for trucks are built for trucks and a totally different application and environment. I bet the torque will almost double the HP unlike a gas engine you don’t need big HP to get work done.
Example -You can take a 6.0 liter Ford Powerstroke truck diesel with a stock horsepower of 325hp. and do nothing more than retune it to deliver almost 200 more hp. That is a 40% gain before you remove the restrictive exhaust modify injectors, turbo and remove all the accessories you will not have on an outboard like power steering, etc. Truck engines are rated at the crank like some outboards with all accessories installed. The biggest issue in comparison with truck engines is the wide variance of applications where low power torque is demanded and these engines are built to deliver it with little cooling ability. Keep in mind most of the biggest tractor trailers on the road are less than 400hp hauling over 80,000lbs gross. It’s not the HP that pulls it’s the torque. That why I think the diesels will be well suited for larger boats but with the newer performance technologies will find them in smaller performance applications.

I don't think a diesel 300hp outboard built on a 3.0liter block is stretching it at all and at 700lbs that is over 100lbs lighter than Yammies 300hp. I would imagine the tongue rating for the 300HP diesel will far exceed the Yammies. As far as RPM’s I think that can be managed with a two speed outdrive and or props. With the extra torgue you will be able to swing a larger prop for the top end but will need a way of slowing at idle. I would think a slow speed gear for docking and low speed maneuvering like a trolling valve. Keep in mind Diesels develop their max HP at much lower RPMS than gas engine and that will translate to a very efficient cruise speed.

I'm not trying to be disagreeable but newer diesel advancements have made them more practical and kind of break the stereotypes of yesterday. A Ford F-350 Crew Cab Dually 4X4 will spank a stock Mustang GT in the quarter with only $3000.00 invested at nearly twice the weight. That would have never happened with the diesels of yesterday. I see duallies like mine in the low 13's all the time. That been said I hope to see some major players getting into developing these so we can get them on the water sooner. The proof is in the pudding I’ve always said…….. :)

Check out Volkswagen Marine to see the latest light marine diesel engines four cylinders and up .

Back