Do you really need a reminder to ADD a high water alarm?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Capt. Ronnie":7oyyg2e0 said:
Megabyte":7oyyg2e0 said:
I wonder why no one closed the livewell through-hull?
OK... I'll say it... Those black anchors are doing their job well. :roll:

Thats a pretty stupid and tasteless statement , this could have have happened to any boat no matter what motor is on it !!!
Lucky for these guys there were plenty of boats near them to help out ! :x
!!!

Easy Boy! There are two statements made here.

The first one is a valid question and informative. Had they the foresight or time to check below AND in fact is was a thru hull hose blowout, they may have been able to save their boat and minimized risk to life by shutting the valve off.

The second statement is nothing more than a reiteration of a constant joke running on this board about Merc's. You should know better as you've been on this board for a while.

I did not read any maliciousness in Kevin's comments.

You need to back off the Red Bull.....

THESE POSTS have been edited by DaleH (to delete 'jackass' references).

Be civil ... even if you DISAGREE with what was previously posted.

NOBODY wants to see ANY boat go down.

But I tell all ... IMHO the real jackass is the boat Mfg'r that sells a $150K boat with a single bilge pump installed.

A 2" hole 1' below the waterline will let in ~78-gallons per minute. That is 4680 gallons per hour! Plus, at typical 8.5 pounds per gallon for saltwater, that is 663 POUNDS PER MINUTE being added to the boat. Holy s#$t that's a ton of weight!

The real lesson of my posting this was for all of us to learn from someone else's unfortunate experience.

Dale, I'm glad you posted this and would encourage others to do the same - it is a great way to learn and make your own boat and trips safer. I just bought a used 2520 with one piddly bilge pump and Dale has me thinking about adding another.

Couple points and comments:
1) who took the pics? Nice documentation at a difficult time ie do I take a few nice pics or throw these poor guys a line? photojournalist dilemma
2)bad visibility and at least two boats at the scene. How did you all find them? lat/lon coordinates? I'm assuming their power and instruments were maybe out so maybe give them some credit for having a handheld.
3) dont see a lot of rods? Maybe one in the bow. Did they chuck em to lighten the load?
4) Last but certainly not least - once again another point is scored for the "stay with the boat" team! That beast floated and was towed in - impressive with all of the black iron on the stern :wink:

By the way a buddy of mine is interested in booking a tuna charter up that way around the fourth? Who should he call? Thanks

gray duck":305j72i3 said:
I just bought a used 2520 with one piddly bilge pump and Dale has me thinking about adding another.

Do a search of the Projects section and you will find several project posts outlining how to perform the upgrade.

Good luck and think personal (and crew) safety! 8)

DaleH":t7d3nmm2 said:
THESE POSTS have been edited by DaleH (to delete 'jackass' references).

Be civil ... even if you DISAGREE with what was previously posted.

NOBODY wants to see ANY boat go down.

But I tell all ... IMHO the real jackass is the boat Mfg'r that sells a $150K boat with a single bilge pump installed.

A 2" hole 1' below the waterline will let in ~78-gallons per minute. That is 4680 gallons per hour! Plus, at typical 8.5 pounds per gallon for saltwater, that is 663 POUNDS PER MINUTE being added to the boat. Holy s#$t that's a ton of weight!

The real lesson of my posting this was for all of us to learn from someone else's unfortunate experience.

Dale,
My apologize for the "jackass " comment.
My comments we because of Kevin's last line

OK... I'll say it... Those black anchors are doing their job well. Rolling Eyes

Someone please explain so I can see the humor in this statement !

gray duck":1fgbfwjo said:
Dale, I'm glad you posted this and would encourage others to do the same - it is a great way to learn and make your own boat and trips safer. I just bought a used 2520 with one piddly bilge pump and Dale has me thinking about adding another.

Couple points and comments:
1) who took the pics? Nice documentation at a difficult time ie do I take a few nice pics or throw these poor guys a line? photojournalist dilemma
2)bad visibility and at least two boats at the scene. How did you all find them? lat/lon coordinates? I'm assuming their power and instruments were maybe out so maybe give them some credit for having a handheld.
3) dont see a lot of rods? Maybe one in the bow. Did they chuck em to lighten the load?
4) Last but certainly not least - once again another point is scored for the "stay with the boat" team! That beast floated and was towed in - impressive with all of the black iron on the stern :wink:

By the way a buddy of mine is interested in booking a tuna charter up that way around the fourth? Who should he call? Thanks

I do charters up here and could get you on them.
Or I can put you in touch with a few others who are very good at getting you on them.
No matter who you decide on make sure you pick one who values your life more than $ in their pocket and goes the extra cost of having a life raft.

Phil":2o6k579u said:
I was eating breakfast in Scituate harbor when I saw them leave at around 4:30. About 3 hours later I heard them called the Coast Guard and said they were taking on water. I gave it a 50% chance that was the boat I saw earlier.

>>I spoke with a guy later on land who pulled them out of the water He told me it went down in about 2-3 minutes and there was not enough time for all to get life jackets on, never mind enough time for survival suits! So I don't think a high water alarm would have made any difference.

A high bilge alarm would alert you to a potential problem. If my high bilge alarm goes off, I would not come off plane or at least stay on high displacement speed. It happened to me once and I did not come off plane until I got back to the dock—turned out to be a stuck float switch. Had they did this, they might still own that boat.

As to having not enough time to get life jackets, below is a pic of my survival work suit. In the pockets, I have a 406 epirb, handheld vhf, signal flares, signaling mirror, and knife. I pack it like a parachute and leave it on the port side of my v-berth. It will be the FIRST thing that I grab in an emergency. If I have time, I’ll put on the suit, if not I grab it and put it on in the water.

Ronnie, I was also out on the bank Sunday and you cut me off. Nice to have a bigger boat, you bastard—lol...

you cut me off. Nice to have a bigger boat, you bastard—lol
Yes it is nice to have a bigger boat ! just kidding !
Sorry if I cut you off, I'm guessing it was later in the morning ? Once the place becomes a parking lot it's impossible not to cut someone off !
I never intentionally cut anyone off. We were there about 4:15 fishing long before the crowd ! I did see a handful of Parkers out there.

Back