Drifting 2120 Sport Cabin

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sara F

Reaction score
I am still getting used to my 2120 Sport Cabin and how she acts/reacts to certain winds and currents ,while drift fishing for fluke (a.k.a summer flounder). The last couple of times, that I have been out in the Delaware Bay, I have had a hard time getting her "dialed-in" so the lines would go straight out the back. My 2110 Sport Cabin consistently wanted to drift at an angle forcing the lines either off the port or starboard quarter. Not an issue when I am fishing alone or, with 1 other person, however, gets to be a real pain when more guest are on board (tangled lines, etc.). When I have my old boat (center console), I was able to adjust the drift angle by turning the engine slightly from one-side to the other but, turning the engine doesn't seem to have any impact on my Parker. I am sure the Pilot House is likely to be a major contributor and acting like a sail. Any one experience similar issues and, do you have any suggestions that would help? Would raising the engine out of the water help? I thought about a drift-sock but, I don't want to slow my drift speed too much. I have found a drfit speed of 1.0 to 1.5 knots is optimum for fluke fishing.

i know what you mean,i have the door and both side windows and front windows open depending on tide and wind speed she will spin on you,but it takes a couple of adjustments of the engine to keep the lines from tangling

dave

Dave, thanks for hte reply. I take it that you mark minor adjustments to the engine, correct?

Throw a five gallon bucket over and tie it off to either the bow cleat or the mid-ship cleat, try both ans see what produces the drift angle you want. Will slow you a little but will keep you lined up how you like.

I try to drift beam to. The best method is to deploy a sea anchor aka drift sock off the mid ship cleat.

Back