Dry weight, wet weight, trailer capacity

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougmacf

Reaction score
Hello all from snowy/slushy New England,

I have a 1989 2520 MVSC with a '93 225 Johnson on a bracket. Fuel capacity is 126 gal. My trailer is a Venture VRT 5800 rated at 5800# capacity. Dual axle, hydraulic surge brakes. Truck is an '05 F250 with towing package.

It seems I'm pushing the weight capacity of the trailer but I have no good input as far as actual weight of the boat. I've seen dry weight numbers in brochures and in ads on the internet ranging from 4500# to 5300# for what seems to be the comparable hull. With an old hull ('89), old engine and changes in hull shape and model designations over the years, it's hard to compare apples to apples.

I would like to find a weighing station nearby to get truck, boat and trailer weights and tongue weight but was hoping in the meantime someone might have some reasonable guesses or insights. Also, is tongue weight subtracted off of gross (trailer + boat) weight when matching to trailer capacity? :?:

The bottom line is that the former owner used this setup only twice per season. Until I someday get onto a slip I launch from the trailer each time but the ramp is only 2 miles away. I would like to haul longer distances occasionaly but only if the trailer is within correct weight range.

Thanks for your input,

Happy St. Pat's Day, :wink:

Doug MacFarland

I found 3 weights for a 2520 (mod V).

3375#, late '80's brochure
4000#, 2005 (?) brochure
4500#, Parker site

The "5300#" weight you have is for an extended cabin.

Let's use 4500# hull, 500# motor, 650# for fuel makes for 5600#'s

MOST trailers are rated at GVWR (includes the weight of the trailer). If you have a steel trailer, it's approaching 1800#. At a 5800# trailer, subtract 1800# you carry about 4000#. Same trailer in aluminum bunk will weigh about 1000#.

If your trailer is rated 5800# LOAD CARRYING or around 7600# GVWR, you can carry a 5800# load. If you think you might have a 7600# GVWR trailer and cannot find the rating on trailer title or info plate on trailer, look for 15" SIX lug trailer wheels.

Still border line. OK (IMO) for short 2 mile hauls to ramp, but no long distance. If the trailer is otherwise in good shape, there is a good chance you can change out the 2 axles to next weight and be OK. Check to see Venture uses the same frame for both capacities (very common).

Here it is... http://www.venturetrailers.com/

Your trailer is listed (steel roller, 5800# ?). Has 14" tires on it. This is gonna be a trailer that can carry about 4000# load. Good news is that frame is same as larger trailers (3x5) so you can change axles (and springs/brake/tires) and be OK.

As mentioned, add up your gross weight.

Don't forget water, gear, supplies in the boat when you would tow.

This total number gets compared to your trailer rating. The tongue weight is a separate number, usually a recommendation of about 5-10% of total weight and can be varied by where you mount the winch and locate the boat on the trailer.

Add all the weight on the trailer and the weight of the trailer to compare against your tow vehicle rating.

Looks like you are good to go based on the estimates already given.

I have the heavier 2530 with a 7400 lb rated trailer. I've towed it with 250's and 350's (two V-10's and now a diesel).

Dana

Back