East vs West pricing

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seneca Lake Dave

Reaction score
Maybe I am whining...maybe it is a desperate cry for help...BUT, I am a little agitated.
I have been planning my next boat purchase and reading all I can find on Parker's great boats. I live in Southern California, and have found that our local dealer's prices are about 10K higher than prices for new boats on the East coast. 2320-63K, 2310-70K, 2120-50K.
I tried to see if I could get the price down on a 2120, and they would not budge at all. I was told that they sell every boat they get...and that is the price.
I know that there is no substitute for a good local dealer, but I am near LA and they are in San Diego...so engine servicing would be done at a different local anyway.
I could see paying a couple of grand more for shipping across America...but, 10K on almost all models seems a bit too much to accept.

As one of many examples, greatcir's 2120, with a high rail, but otherwise as described below (He's from TN) , would cost me $50K from our SoCal dealer.

greatcir:Got my 2007 sport cabin 2120 last Novenber for $40,250 with port opening window, rocket launcher, spreader light, and wash down pump plus dual wheel trailer with spare and brakes and 2007 150 Yammi 4 stroke in warranty till 11/3/12 with ss prop and Command Link gauges from dealer in Tampa. My research showed maybe $39,750 was as good as I coud do, but the dealer's location and the boat were good for me.

Thanks for listening...
Dave

Attachments

• Photo_020807_002.jpg
    Photo_020807_002.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 6,448
I would target the used Parker market around the country. It took me almost a year to find my 2320DVSC and I was willing to drive anywhere to tow her home as I had specific boat specs in mind. Drive to Maryland, tow your boat home to save 10K? Perhaps is she is to be your boat....

The back story for me is that after an exhaustive search I steeled myself to visit Ron at Tri-State to start the process of ordering new. He said "I just took a 2320DVSC on brokerage this morning..."

Found her right in my back yard.

It was almost new with 80 hours and is now named Puddleduck

I would not agree with the fact that, "They sell every boat they get." Down here in San Diego I see dozens of 'dusty' new Parkers sitting in lots all over.

We just bought a slightly used 2520 from a private party and got a heck of a deal.

Be patient and hit the internet.

Kirk

It sounds like you have two things going against you...

1.) A popular brand that dealers in your area don't need to discount in order to move product.
- and
2.) Transportation cost from the east coast builder, to the west coast dealer.

If you apply a 50% weight to each, item #1 might still apply (for the most part) even to product found at a dealer on the east coast.
So finding a dealer who has what you want in stock, and the ability to negotiate a deal acceptable to you is key.

As for item #2... Can you can transport the boat home for $5k or less?
If you can, do you research... take a vacation out east, and haul your new boat home to So Cal. 8)

Having said all that... like Rangerdog, I found my boat by word-of-mouth less than 2 miles from my home on the used market.
I just happened to be in the right place, at the right time.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :wink:

Seneca Lake Dave":34fygdom said:
I live in Southern California, and have found that our local dealer's prices are about 10K higher than prices for new boats on the East coast.
Thanks for listening...
Dave

Called a Barbara Boxer/Nancy Pelosi surcharge.

It's your own fault, y'all voted for 'em. :lol:

Having just purchased a 2004 1801 at a good West Coast price, I completely understand what you are saying.

The problem out here is the popularity of the boat with the lack of dealers. Sundance in San Diego is the only Parker dealer in So Cal and that eliminates the need to deal.

What was interesting is the price increase in the last 2 years. The 2120 in 2005 was selling at the local boat shows for 39,999.00. In 2006 it was selling for 49,999.00. Increased shipping costs as well as local popularity are sure to contribute to the increase.

As others have stated, either take a nice trip back east or keep looking for a deal on a used model. Of course your best deals on a used model will also be on the East Coast.

Good Luck.

Bought one of Sundance's 2006 2120's as a boat show leftover last July in San Diego. Got a fairly good deal as it was on the lot for a couple of months but I still found them real tight in the bargining area, as in not at all.

Just my opinion, but they have a slight arguement with shipping but not 10k worth, they freight several boats per trip on round trip haulers, the truckers are making money both directions. And fuel, last year especially, was not that bad across country until you hit the Arnold-land border.

Price out here has to to do with supply and demand as eluded to above, which creates management greed. They have a good product, it sells well so they get cocky about it and will increase profits accordingly.

If not for a halfway decent sales rep I probably would have walked away, I found the management to be an arrogant SOB Normally one can get the dealership to add an extra here and there to close a deal, insted these guys tried to sell me a cheap WM anchor setup with a 5% markup. He also insulted the commadore by sending her to the mechanics restroom while we were signing the papers on the sales floor, a very bad move.

When I first looked at the boat the manager met us on the sales floor. Since I walked in off the street in shorts and a t-shirt ( dinner attire in San Diego) he seemed to think that it was perfectly ok to walk away from me twice in mid sentance to take care of some trivia. I finally walked out on him and only went back when a good sales rep called me back and actually took the time to go over the boat with me.

Bottom line and the problem is, I bought the boat, if I had not someone else would have and they know it, just like the 3.50 gas, we still pay it and it still goes up.

Sorry to vent, but still not happy, really wanted the Parker and very sorry I had to deal with the devil, so to speak, to get it.

Yeah Claymar...I am with you on all your sentiments. John at Sundance (he's the finance/sales guy)couldn't be a nicer guy....can't say that for everyone.

I also really want a new Parker and will probably have to get it through Sundance. If I buy out of state, I will have to pay local tax, shipping costs to get her out here, then California DMV tax.

I just hate feeling like I am getting a bad deal...even though it is probably a very fair price compared to other manufacturers new boat prices.

Dave

You might not have to pay the sales tax on a boat bought out of state. I did not have to pay Fl sales tax on a boat trailer bought in Tampa. You might pay the sales tax in state you register boat in, or might be credited sales tax pd in another state.

I just bought mine from Sundance and am very happy with the deal.
Don't forget theirs have the high rails and pulpit and they have to pay shipping as well.
They are very knowledgable and really took care of me and continue to do so.
I talked with a guy and he got the same deal as the one I got at the boat show. Now is a good time as they sold 28 boats at the recent (3) shows and have got them all out.
You are tottaly stuck with tax even if you buy out of State. I've been there and DMV said "Oh, I see you haven't paid tax on this". Big brother knows all.
dave

Dave (5150dude),

With all the great stuff on your boat, do you feel that they (Sundance) gave you a good deal on accessories or on the boat?

The high rail may cost them a little more to manufacture than the standard rail...but not much. Shipping from the East coast costs between 2-3K for a dedicated driver. They should pay much much less as they are hauling out several boats at once. If it costs Sundance more than that...I can give them a few numbers to call.

Basically, I would like to feel that I am appreciated as a customer, and that I am getting a good deal. Charge me 10K more than an Eastern dealer, but at least throw me a bone or two! Offer to deliver the boat to my marina in Huntington. Throw in some extras maybe a bait tank or GPS/sounder. At least I get the feeling that I am getting a bargain. Hearing that others pay 20% less for the same boat package...well...you know.

Spoke to 3 seperate Parker owners since this thread started. All three bought from outisde California and either brought them back or shipped. The futhermost purchase was a 2320 bought in Floridia. Sundance refused to budge on 73K so the boat was purchased for 49K and brought to Ca for 1500.00.

So...the question doesn't seem to be "should I buy out of state?" but "where should I buy it?"

Who has gotten the best "everyday" price on a Parker sport cabin (2120 or 2320) within the last 18 months? Who is the dealer and best guy I should talk to?

thanks,
Dave

FYI: There are a few things that you need to be aware of.

First, to buy a new (current year) Parker, the dealer cannot sell it to you unless you "indicate" that you live in his area. You will need to produce a local address (use a friends or relatives address). Parker checks for a local address on the paperwork the dealer sends them after the sale. You will get a really nice "GOODIE" package from Parker at the given address a few weeks later so be sure to tell who lives there to forward it to you. You can change your address later --- Just call Parker and tell them you moved.

Second, if you are not comfortable with that scenario, you can wait until the next model year starts to show up at the dealerships, and at that point, Parker dealers can sell you a left over no matter where you live (also the prices are better).

Third, for me the best way to shop for a left over or current year is to look on Boattrader.com. That is how I found all of the boats I have bought, and that is also how I sold my boats when I decided to move up or down.

This message will self destruct in 60 seconds.

Back