Electrolysis problem on engine bracket

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outofcommission

Reaction score
My boat is a 2009, it was in the water from the time I purchased it new May 2009 until the end of November. I have a ring of electolysis corrosion around the whole aluminum engine bracket and the zincs are 95% gone. I have read up on the causes of Electrolysis, galvanic corrosion, different metals reacting etc...

The question that I have is, has anyone else had this problem? The local dealer says they do not know of anyone else having this problem which scares me.

I have had other boats in this slip and never had a problem, there are 5 other boats in the water where I keep it and they have minimal damage, I honestly think it is a stray current from my boat, but what???

Is there a usual suspect? Battery charger is almost always off, frig is almost always off, but battery switches are almost always on. I did have dockside power installed but only use it when I overnight somewhere. All in all I should be able to leave the boat "plugged in" all the time though.

I plan on doing the repairs necessary, zincing the crap out of the whole boat, and leaving the battery switches off, any other suggestions or am I just going to have to deal with this season after season??? I hate putting it back in without resolving the issue!!!

Where do you have zincs?

Did you use copper based paint on the bracket? If so, there's your problem.

The dealership painted the bottom and the bracket, they say they are all painted the same and they haven't had a problem. I am going to use trilux 33 this season hopefully it helps. Thank you

If they didn't use trilux you need to remove all the copper paint from the bracket first, they should be paying if it was there mistake, er... poor workmanship. :oops:

What dealership if you don't mind me asking. They should know better.

Bryan 2530":3n9mu36m said:
If they didn't use trilux you need to remove all the copper paint from the bracket first, they should be paying if it was there mistake, er... poor workmanship. :oops:

What dealership if you don't mind me asking. They should know better.
Agreed - the dealer should pay! Now I'd say in their defense most boats may 'not' exhibit an issue, but if an area with a lot of stray current, you will see this.

You or THEY need to strip the bracket down to bare paint and I'd apply an epoxy-based zinc chromate followed by an epoxy-based barrier coat to further insulate the aluminum. Then paint with Trilux, 2-coats.

Get them somehow to admit in writing or whatever that they put on std paint, then sue in small claims court if you need to. That is just aggregious (sp?) and irresponsible, to me.

Copper paint on an aluminum bracket is not an automatic death sentence. My old Grady had copper paint on the Gil bracket for like 17 years and it didn't have a spec of galvanic corrosion on it. They key is to keep the copper from directly contacting the aluminum.

If this were your issue, I would expect to see corrosion only in certain areas...like where your dealer may have scratched or sanded through the coating on your bracket.

Personally, I think you're on the right track w/ stray current. But don't ask me how to go about troubleshooting that. I don't have a clue... Good luck.

After pulling my boat this past winter, I noticed that all of my zincs were eaten up way more than 'normal'.
Unfortunately, my marina seems to have an over abundance of derelict sailboats whose owners perform the minimum of maintenance.

One such boat sat right beside me all last year, and I suspect that is where the damage came from.
I have a sailboat on the other side of me whose owner does take pride and maintains it well, so I'm pretty sure that he is OK.

The good news is that wreck next to me is gone, and a neighbor (with a powerboat) took the spot next to me.
I know he maintains his boat well too, so we'll see how the replacement zincs look when my ride is pulled next winter.

I've already alerted the marina manager to the previous seasons damage, so hopefully they will do what it takes to monitor the situation.

Brent":bi51x6ba said:
Does the marina routinely check for stray currents?

I don't think that mine does unless there is a complaint.
In my case, a complaint has been registered so we can hope.

Brent":gldq52p8 said:
http://www.boatzincs.com/corrosion-reference-electrode-specs.html

Here is testing electrode for $125

I dont have one
Maybe someone can comment if it is worth purchasing

I would love to know too.
$125 would pay for a set of new zincs, so it could be a good investment (especially in my marina full of derelict sailboats). :wink:

I am going to install a galvanic isolator and really, I don't need to leave the a/c power plugged in but I hate that there is something wrong and I am avoiding it instead of fixing it.....

The boat is in my father's backyard, the other boats have some wear on the zincs buy nothing like my boat. I am pretty convinced it's my boat but it's going in this week, dc power only, battery switches off, everything off, then I'm gonna haul it, inspect it, and hopefully it will show no damage, then I will chase to a/c problem..... If there is damage.... back to the drawing board!!!

No offense, but you already know the problem. All the copper paint needs to be removed from the metal.

Between the stainless tabs, aluminum bracket and copper paint, you have the makings of a battery.

Question, What is the condition of the zinc on the bottom of the bracket?? My guess is it is probably near %100 un-touched.

That means the zinc on the bracket is not making contact with the metal in the bracket so instead of the zinc being eaten away the aluminum is the next metal to go. A Parker does not have that much electrical, AC or DC on it to really be of concern. The motors are out of the water at rest and there is no grounding plate for the AC, unless you installed one.

If it were my boat I would fix the zinc on the bracket and remove all copper paint from any underwater metals, then there are no worries. Again, just my opinion, but the other way you are risking a lot and causing way more work.

Good luck in your search.

Check out this post about the bracket zinc.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3548

If your zinc is making contact there should be no trace of the bracket being eaten away, just the zinc.

one of the easier projects I have done. When buying the parker I asked the bracket not be painted( when told the same paint goes all over the bottom area) I hand sanded down the shinny metal(the facotry paint is NOT a galvonic barrier) 4 coats of Primocon, 3 coats of Trilux 33. the quart size is more than enough. Most important made sure the bracket zinc was now touching shinny metal, not as installed touching the factory paint. There is lost of post on this subject and was lucky to read CP first :)
Not looking forward to bottom paint again, but I know how it is done when I do it. Ever see a boat yard wipe down with thinner after sanding??? or use 2 to 3 different type of paint to match the needs of the aluminum, steel or others metals?

Question, What is the condition of the zinc on the bottom of the bracket?? My guess is it is probably near %100 un-touched.

Does Parker install them over the paint. I ask becuase my zinc is pretty much untouched and there is are a few small areas of corrosion around the mounting bolts. Bracket is painted with trilux 33

Yep, I'm assuming Armstrong does.

If you look at the post above, there is a star washer inside that is charged with the task of continuity. :roll:

file.php

Back