electronics resetting on engine start

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I added a power post, and have all my electronics on it and use the house bat for it, works perfect, it was cheap and easy, can take a pic if you want , my boat is in my front yard !

TimC2520":3kg5pqzd said:
Parker":3kg5pqzd said:
Tim - I had a problem with my C-80 when I started the boat. I solved the problem by installying a Start Guard. When I turn the key, the battery in the start guard prevents the voltage drop.

Brad

Thanks, I will look into that.

I have two group 27's on a 1-2-both switch with a Start Guard - I run a raymarine c120 - raytheon sounder - vhf - I normally have no reset problems - I put the radar tramsmitter on stand by while drifting - I don't have any restart issues - I also run a charger system when docked...my batteries were new this season....Sounds like the Start Guard may be of some help

tara11":3iflqjd7 said:
I added a power post, and have all my electronics on it and use the house bat for it, works perfect, it was cheap and easy, can take a pic if you want , my boat is in my front yard !

You know, I too use an Ancor (spelled ccrrectly ;) ) brand Power Post too, even with just 2 Group 24 dual purpose starting/deep cycle batteries ... and my electronics have never pulled down whilst starting.

13952.gif

Note how it has space for #8 ring terminals to be connected to it, so items in the stern (bilge pumps, livewell/wash down pumps, etc., can also be easily grounded.

Only $18 here.

This similar to what I used, bought them from west marine ! You attach a positive lead, I have a few in back of my helm and one for the neg, and then I ran my electronics off the block :) No problems as of yet , almost 3 yrs I think :)

Attachments

• 288050c_f.jpg
    288050c_f.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 133
If you've got a house/starting battery system on your boat, this will keep your electronics on during starting (by automatically isolating the house battery during the starting cycle) and automatically combine the batteries while the motor is running (in charging mode).
http://bluesea.com/productline/docs/387

Tim, keep it simple, my motto is if it works perfect, leave it alone :)

optimaxfish":1jkwuyoo said:
of course I forgot about bottom fishing. we troll never shut down motor. theres an old adage something about "theres a lot better chance of a motor not starting than one cuttin off while runnin."

To me, that is the biggest advantage of a 4s, they always start just like a car. All the 2s motors I had (none DI to be fair) were a crap shoot as to whether it would start when you needed it to start.

I never recalled having my electronics shut down before, but just the other day I noticed that both my gps and ff were turned off. I didn't think anything of it because i usually turn off the gps at anchor. I do leave the ff on.

What i can't recall is if the ff turned off when i started the motor or when I used the windlass to pull in a little line, while the motor was off.

Hmmm. Need to pay attention next time I go out.

Tim, not sure if you got this solved or not, but I had the same problem with my Furuno electronics. Dont think this is a Furuno specific problem though. The problem was battery maintenance (ie. not switching the battery switch enough to allow proper charging). These were Grp 29 batteries.

I went with a Blue Sea battery charging system. It has a charging relay and keeps the house isolated from the start battery. Electronics wont drop out now. I also added shore power and run a battery charger. That helps too :D

Haven't had the time to deal with it yet, I have to spend what little free time I have actually fishing. Someday, I'll put my head into it and maybe even contact you to look at your set up
as we are very close in proximity.

Tim

Back