Electronics Stolen from my 2017 2820

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnkn

Reaction score
Well, I received a call today from my dealer, largest Parker dealer in the world (?) and large Grady dealer. My boat was winterized there 2 weeks ago and the boat was being stored over the winter. Their lot was broken into and multiple boats suffered from electonics theft, mine included. The dealer stated that the thieves were targeting Garmin only, that boats with Lowrance, Raytheon, etc. were not touched. He said that there was no damage to the helm, they just unscrewed the units and cut wiring, nothing else was taken.

They got my 1242XSV and my 7408, sounds like the Fantom radar is ok.. There is a police report, and I've contacted my insurance company.

If there is enough room I may try to upgrade from the 1242 to a 7616, the physical dimension is 2.7" wider (which I think will work) and 2" taller (not sure it will fit).

I'll head down tomorrow to take a look.

So if someone tries to sell you these units, when you turn them on and see all my prime fishing locations marked on the map, pay extra for it and thank me later. ;^)

That’s awful. Nothing worse than a thief. You appear to be taking it much better than I would. Perhaps the upgrade is the silver lining. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear that John and I know exactly the dealer you are referring to. They have so many boats stored there it is not surprising this is happening but disappointing none the less. I am not really sure what they could do to prevent this because unfortunately they have no good way of securing these boats.

Anyway, I hope you are able to upgrade and more so I hope they catch these sobs (but sadly doubt it).

Too bad Garmin doesn't install a small rechargeable battery in their electronics that Garmin could activate and transmit the GPS location to Garmin or police (maybe they do). I'll check the boat out tomorrow, if there is really zero damage to the helm, gelcoat etc. I'll be happy and just write it off as one of this unfortunate events in life. I would have to believe the dealer's insurance company would require cameras, hopefully they catch them.

At least it happened during the off-season here and the boat is exactly where it needs to be for repairs.

More to come.

I hate Thieves! :(

But I think you will find you will be making a mistake with the Big Ass touch screen.

Yea..It's great in a Large vessel that doesn't bounce around....But these boat bounce....I'd stick with the same thing...It was a excellent choice.

A lock screen or a gps locator seems like a great idea for these expensive modern electronics. I agree, it’s odd it’s not been addressed. However it ultimately would not benefit the manufacturer, they just end up selling more product in cases of theft.

You’re in SOMD right? Sent me a PM and I’ll help you with upgrading I recently started an electronics business.

Sorry to hear, hope you had all your waypoints backed up. I just downloaded all mine into my computer. That would be a killer to me if not backed up as some wrecks in there took years to find. Good luck with the upgrade

Back