engine wont run past 2400 rpm

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFern

Reaction score
Engine ran very well from idle up to about 2400 rpm. Beyond 2400 rpm it felt like it was going to stall, but with surges of increasing speed. Additional information – using all new non-ethanol gas, the fuel filter is about one year old (but not really used) - first time the boat has been used in about a year. The engine ran great at 2400 or less for the entire day. It’s a 2001 Yamaha 225 four stroke. Any ideas on what to check are appreciated.

Not fun......I can't give you any useful guesses as I have not had the issue. Might be worth a trip over to Central or your local guy since probably out of warranty.

I was having an issue like that and I changed the spark plugs and got all my power back. Good luck :mrgreen:

Is the VST filter a 'do it yourself' job? I just found some instructions on line, and it doesn't look too difficult. I’ll also change the plugs. Any other ideas or preventative maintenance I should consider while I’m at it? Thanks

The VST filter on my 225 2 stoke is a DIY. All it requires is the filter and the tank seal. You should refill the tank manually prior to putting the tank back on to avoid running the high pres. pump without fuel.

I did the VST service (great step-by-step instructions on line), and now the motor runs great - thanks for the advice.

MacFern":1rvv2wqk said:
I did the VST service (great step-by-step instructions on line), and now the motor runs great

Did it have visible crud in it?

Very little; I thought everything looked OK, but then again I didn't really know what to look for. I bought the parts from Shipyard Island Marina, Inc. - Andy also thought the VST was the place to start based on the symptoms.

Back