Ensenada Offshore 5-17-09-Yellowtail and Bonito

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Its4Reels!-Parker23

Reaction score
Headed offshore with Forrest “Tecateando” out of Marina Coral. After spending an hour making about 20 mini macks we decided offshore was where we wanted to go. Headed to Ensenada bait and spoke to the new owner Armando and was told that they were commited to keeping a consistent supply of live bait for us PBers. And after a generous scoop of some of the healthiest anchovies I have seen in a while we headed off to the Lower 500. We received a tip from a PBer heading back to the states that there were some yellows just outside of the Banda Bank. On my first cast around 2 miles before the Banda Bank using a tady 45 in blue and chrome produced my first yellow of the season:

111780Ensenada%205-17-09%200017782-med.jpg

111780Ensenada%205-17-09%200027783-med.jpg

I wish I could report that we slayed ‘em today but that was it for the yellows although we did stop on a number of good sized paddies. We did see a couple of others on our 3rd stop but they had lock jaw. We put the trollers about 10 miles from the 500 and it was wide open bonito. We stopped on boiling fish and caught all we wanted using megabaits and aluminum jigs. Put the trollers in and it was triple hookups. We tired of catching these tasty fishy’s and decided to head north towards the 238 for nada. Headed back for the Punta Banda area and pulled in a few reds and trolled the north end of Todos Santos for one nice sized barracuda that ate a trolled mackerel. Water temps on the outside ranged from 60.0 to 63.0 degrees with blue water on the outside. We metered a lot of fish and there was tons of bait in the water. Final count was 1 yellowtail, 15+ bonito, 3 reds, 1 barracuda, a couple of small rockfish, 95 miles of water covered, and 62 gallons of fuel burned. Look’s like this is going to be a good season. Great fishing with you Forrest and as you said we paid some dues today. We’ll get them next time.

nice report - what are your "reds" ? Beeliners? And how do you have your fillet table fitted in the transom? Is that in one of the covers to the fish box? I'd like to put a rod holder in the center back there but cant figure a way to do it. Thanks.

Back