EPA Discharge Permits for ALL boats

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devilfish

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just recieve this letter from BoatUS and thought it was important to pass on to you all. It seems in out best interest to become active and contact the people listed who can help us avoid this ridiculous permit.

March 19, 2008

Dear BoatUS Member,

We need your help now to pass NEW federal legislation in the Senate that would provide a permanent exemption for recreational boats from the upcoming EPA discharge permit requirement. Remember that if we don't get legislation passed, we all need to get EPA permits to operate our boats effective 9/30/08!

We appreciate the time that many of you have already taken to let your Senators or Representatives know your support of S. 2067 or HR 2550 "The Recreational Boating Act of 2007." Now there is a new Senate Bill #2766 "The Clean Boating Act of 2008", which is more politically viable, and our best chance to eliminate the permit requirement before it comes in effect on September 30, 2008.

Please pick up the phone or email today and ask your Senators to sponsor and vote YES for S 2766. Although Congress is on recess this week and next, we need their staff to hear from us so that this bill can move as soon as the Senators are back in Washington.

Remember to contact both of your Senators:
(Delaware, Idaho, New Jersey, New York)

State Phone Email
Delaware
Senator Joe Biden (D) (202) 224-5042 Visit BoatBlue.org
Thomas Caper (D) (202) 224-2441 Visit BoatBlue.org
Idaho
Senator Larry Craig (R) (202) 224-2752 Visit BoatBlue.org
Senator Mike Crapo (R) (202) 224-6142 Visit BoatBlue.org
New Jersey
Senator Frank Lautenberg (D) (202) 224-3224 Visit BoatBlue.org
Senator Robert Menendez (D) (202) 224-4744 Visit BoatBlue.org
New York
Senator Hillary Clinton (D) (202) 224-4451 Visit BoatBlue.org
Senator Chuck Schumer (D) (202) 224-6542 Visit BoatBlue.org

Your Senator that is in bold print is especially important to contact because they are a member of the Environment and Public Works Committee.

For more information:

Margaret Podlich
Vice President, Government Affairs
BoatUS
[email protected]
703-461-2878 x8355

http://www.boatblue.org/takeaction.aspx

This link makes it VERY quick and easy to fill in a pre-formatted form with your name, etc. and your senators will be e-mailed. If the ammended "Clean Boating Act of 2008" does not get passed, expensive permits will be required by recreational boaters as early as this September, that were initially targeted toward commercial vessels dumping ballast water. This form is very quick to fill out. Thanks Devilfish for bringing this to our attention.

:!: This is a very real issue we are dealing with in the marine industry. The National Marine Manufacturers Association has been working diligently to have recreational boats exempt from this bill however it will take each and every boater to do their part to strongly urge legislators to make the necessary changes. I have already contacted the representatives and I urge you to do the same. The NMMA and boat manufacturers can not accomplish this alone. Please take time out of your schedules as this is very important to all recreational boaters. :!:

I used the BoatBlue link ( http://www.boatblue.org/takeaction.aspx ) to contact Senators Barbara Mikulski and Benjamin Cardin on this issue.

I would urge all ClassicParker members to take a moment and do the same, as it is very easy to do.
I've already heard back from Senator Mikulski, so our representitives are getting the message. :wink:

I really appreciate those of you that contacted the legislators concerning the Clean Boating Act. We have some good news that Senator Burr has agreed to help us in this fight! Together we can make a difference. Please encourage all to go to www.blueboat.org and following the steps outlined on the site!

Back