external gps antena

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WAJSKI

Reaction score
I have a 2320 pilot house where is the best place to mount a external antenna. I have a Garmin 7608xsv mounted from roof inside the boat with internal antenna, I have read Garmins install instructions,Garmin says as close to water line and center of boat. I now have a Standard Horizion ext antenna on the roof above winbshield center of roof. I would also like to know Garmin Gps 19x or Airmar H2183. I am trying to get the autopilot to hold heading at trolling speed .9to2.6 mph. The S/H unit is nmea0183 Garmin nmea2000.

I never paid attention to that my problem is at trolling speed in autopilot the boat is constantly correcting heading,at crusing it hold a heading perfect.

The reason I asked about coordinates skipping around when stationary is because if they are pretty stable I doubt that is the issue. I would start with the the autopilot compass or autopilot settings before installing an external GPS antenna. My autopilot didn't drive as straight as I would like but after adjusting some settings it works much better. I don't have an external antenna. I'm probably not the best person to advise you on the changes you should make, I feel like I just adjusted slowly until it worked better lol.

I run lowrance and the external antenna for the most part controls the more precise positioning for the auto pilot. It's a baja point one antenna also allows me to have radar overlay on the chart. I would figure that antenna is similar.

Back