F150 Harmonic Balancer Whine

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger Tim

Reaction score
I took the Parker to the dealer yesterday for it's first computer hookup on the Yammie. At 475 hours I figured it was time to let my favorite mechanic take a look at things. He found one fault code at 0.1 hours. Something about the shifter linkage but that was all. Clean bill of health! Then he suggested that we put the muffs on and check for a problem with the harmonic balancers. "WHAT!?," I said. He told me of an issue with early model F150's that involves the harmonic balancer gearing breaking down and causing problems, sometimes catastrophic damage to the powerhead. (My motor was built in Nov. 2003, one of the early ones)

GEEZ! I had no idea that this issue was a problem with my motor. So we hook it up and he turns the key, "Yep, it's got the whine," he says. I had noticed a slight whine noise that developed about 50 hours ago but didn't think that much about it, knowing I would be taking her in for a checkup this winter.

Long story short, they will perform warranty service on the motor to replace the balancer gearing. Seems the older gears are prone to breakage and the resulting metal shards drop to the oil pan and get into the cylinders causing havoc. Cost of the repair to me? NADA!

I told him to replace the timing belt while he was at it, since it is five years old. It looks good, but looks can be deceiving. We also had a long discussion about how I could do the timing belt work myself and he detailed the job for me, all the way down to how to disable the idler pulley/tensioner. I could tell from the way he was describing the job that it wasn't worth the time it would take me to do it when he can do it in less than an hour's labor.

When do you ever get to have an expert Yamaha mechanic who is perfectly happy to stand there in person and point out components on your motor in detail while discussing TSB's, what they teach in Yamaha School, and what he sees happen with his customer's motors? Jamie is the BOMB!

So if you have an older F150 Yamaha be aware of this issue. Listen for a slight whine, similar to a failing power steering pump on a car, but fainter. Get it into a shop to have it checked out. Glad I did!

Yup. Went into the dealership that sold ( and beautifully set up ) my boat to me and the mechanic said that the balancers on both 150's needed to be replaced. My Yammies were built in '06. It was a good catch, as the sound was pretty faint and unfamiliar to me. I'd rather spend an extra day getting the repair done right on dry land than after being towed back to the ramp by VesselAssist! :?

I also have a "golden" mechanic down here in FLA. David Morgan at Big Bend.....but don't tell him or he'll get the bighead...(or bigger head). Right now he's doing some mystery troubleshooting on one of my F150s. BTW, they were built in 2008. They are officially 2009s.

Last Sunday I was in the Suwannee River running Merlin up and down while I adjusted the friction on my throttles....In rough water they exhibited some creep. Upon finishing some wide open to idle operation for about a half hour, I throttled it down and headed back into the canals. While running at about 1100-1200 rpms my port engine threw a "check engine" warning and shut down to idle. I shut it down and idled in on one engine. I let it cool down, although all readings were normal at idle. I restarted it and ran it at low speed for about 5 minutes.....It threw the same alarm. No warning buzzer on either occasion. I shut it down, hauled it out and took it to Big Bend. David has not been able to duplicate the issue in the shop. He's going to take it out on the water and run it on Monday to try to duplicate.

He consulted with Yamaha engineers last week, and they are all scratching their heads. Yamahas best guess is a bad sensor in the intake circuit somewhere. My son is a Dodge drag racing enthusiast and he thinks it could be nothing more than a bad throttle position sensor. I just wonder if any of you with F150s have ever experienced this particular problem.
Thanks in advance.
Good fishing!

Sorry about your gremlin. I haven't seen that problem on mine.

The balance gears on my F-150 were replaced with 22 hours on the motor in Dec. 08.I have 85 hours now , so far so good no other issues. Keep us posted.

Back