F225 loss of power at higher RPM

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnee83

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We'll guys, I've been researching this issue here already but I'd thought I'd post my problem even though I've read some good probable fixes. Anyway, about 3 trips out or so ago, I noticed that I had a loss of power at higher RPM's. I have also had some stalling issues at low RPM's when going to neutral and a little rough idle at times since I purchased the boat last fall. I did the following as I thought they were due anyway and a good place to start.
Oil Change and filter
Engine fuel filter
Fuel water separator
New spark plugs.
The above seemed to take care of the idle and stalling. She is starting, idling and down low smooth as a baby.
Power at higher RPM is still an issue though. I also noticed that when first putting in last weekend, that when I pumped my bulb it didn't firm up like it should. Some, but not all the way. I put it in anyway and she started right up and again down low right up to putting on plain throttle demand it ran fine. I had a lot of people on it this weekend and a full tank but my throttle response above 3000 or so just isn't there. I can only get about 5300 RPM out of it and she is a dog getting there. It was the same on the prior trips out without the fuel and people load when the problem first started.
I've read here thar the bulb and or the ASV/Fuel Pick up would be good places to start? Would the bulb really cause this issue though? Once the engine is running doesn't the fuel pumps pull it through anyway? My feeling is that I may have a restriction on the pick up or that ASV is clogged?
Looking for advise on next steps in order?

Thanks all

You have inadequate fuel pressure at motor. Most likely if bulb, fuel lines and filters have been serviced regularly and are all "good", then it's either all/any of the following: the high speed fuel pump, VST screen clogged, injector screen(s) clogged, or injector(s) clogged.

Take it to your trusted certified yamaha mechanic and have him plug it in an see what the computer is showing as fuel pressure. Fuel system "cleansing" is usually around $500 ish no parts. High speed fuel pump is around $700. Low speed fuel feed pump is $400 ish if needed.

Hope that helps. I had same symptoms last year and that was my remedy.

Thanks for the replys. I think that I will replace the bulb with a Yamaha one, check the fuel lines back to the tank then pull the fuel pick up myself and check that end. I'll replace the VST also. If that doesn't get it then I've reached the end of my mechanical capabilities and I'll call in my Yamaha Tech and get out my check book! Thanks again.

From another thread here's whay I did. Anti Siphon Valve failure.

OK here's the fix for my boat. Checked the fuel filler and vent. All clear. Removed the pick up tube, all clear. Checked the Anti Siphon Valve. It was bad. I have ordered another but I ripped out the spring and valve and put it back together. The boat purrs like a kitten and revs like a Jaguar. I also decided to test the low pressure fuel pump se I pulled it bench tested it and it works great. Buttoned it all up and saw that there is a pretty Good leak from the port trim piston. So now I need to order the piston kit from SIM and wait for it to come in and hope I can get her out on the water this weekend. That's for another thread.

So:

Boat acting bad won't run at higher RPMs fuel misses at idle.

Checked VST-VST spotless cleaned filter (needed done anyway)
Checked engine mounted water filter-cleaned (needed done anyway)
Checked F filter-cleaned (needed done anyway)
Replaced 10 Micron filter (needed done anyway)
Checked all fuel hoses, replaced bulb (needed done anyway)
Checked ASV, modified ASV, problem fixed.

Lesson learned: Do the ASV before anything. It is an easy fix (if that's the problem) before tearing into VSTs or replacing $500 fuel pumps.

John

Thanks Rangerdog! I read your post when researching and it gave me hope that the ASV was going to be my issue too. Based on the fact that my bulb didn't seem to be getting hard I feel there must be a restriction down line. Since there seems to be a possible storm heading to my boat, I have to go 4 hrs to do a few things. I hope to attempt the repair when the storm clears Friday? By the way, is there a size that I can pre buy in the hopes that mine will be the same? I'll post the results. Crossing my fingers. Thanks for the information again!

miky2884":1oj4dy8x said:
Either VST or low pressure fuel pumps.

That would be my guess, but a Yammie mechanic can verify that my simply plugging in...
The ASV is also a possibility.

Bottom line, it appears to be a fuel issue.

My 2003 F225 had same issues last year. As Megabyte said: "It's a fuel issue".

For preventive reasons (boat was new to me), I had the high pressure fuel pump replaced at the same time that the VST and F-filter where replaced. All good after that, but prior to, I couldn't get her on plane. Honestly I don't believe the fuel pump was my issue, my filters where just clogged.

Thanks for feedback Ludicrous. I picked up the ASV today and I'm going to replace that no matter what since it's cheap and easy. Hoping I can post successful results this weekend.

Not the same motor, but when my high speed performance starts to drop off, I check my log book to see when I changed my fuel pumps last.

The OX66 has three low pressure pumps that should be changed every 3 years or after x number of hours.
I do mine every three years and they are $35 each.

Cheap insurance.

Wow Kevin, I would have thought the pumps would be in the hundreds. Sounds like I need to do some homework on how mine are set up. I'm sitting around 350 hrs right now I think. I'm still going to start at the tank and work my way back in the hopes that I get lucky and can avoid the pumps for now. I'd rather do them as a planned PM for sure.

I changed the primer bulb with a Yamaha one. I moved the fuel line to the 2nd unused pick up that is on my tank. It was easy but by not actually pulling the pick up out I still have some doubt as to even the secondary one being clear? I also replaced the ASV with a Muller valve. I don't think my old ASV was bad. It was clean and the ball/spring seemed to function?? On the test ride, the boat seemed to have better response but I don't think 100%, maybe 90%. I may replace the fuel lines although they didn't have any gunk or any signs of corrosion. I did ground several times in the last 4 months on sand bars and have wondered if my prop is not as it should be. When at the dealer getting the ASV, I looked at a 2320 with my motor and a stainless salt water series 11 prop on it. 15.5 x 17. It looked cupped more than my stock black steel prop. The dealer said it performed well with that prop. I think I'm at the point where I just need my Yamaha tech to plug in and check pressures etc and be done with it. Thanks for all of the help!

Kris360":1neafx17 said:
Have you had any luck with the problem?

Not yet. I haven't been back to my boat since my last post. I may call my tech this week and see if I can arrange meeting him at the boat in a few weeks. I think it would be a good idea to have a pro that can plug in and check the fuel pressure etc? I'll repost when I get some news.

Back