fall stripers in lower chesapeake

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pboettger

Reaction score
I've been thinking of hauling my 25 cc to the Va Beach area this fall to put her in dry dock, and have it there for the fall and winter run of big ocean/lower bay stripers in the CBBT area and outward. Ive been thinking about mid-November. Or is that too early? Anybody know about when that fishery really picks up in a typical year?

Peter Boettger
Greenville, NC
1990 Parker 25 cc

By mid November we usually have the big rockfish up the bay so I believe you can find them in the lower bay too. Usually December is the best month. We usually always went the first weekend in December to the CBBT and had good success.

Peter, I have stored my boat and fished the CBBT for the last 5 years starting October-February. PM me if you want my cell number and we can talk - numbers of BIG stripers have steadily declined over the last 5 years, but other fisheries have opened up. I had several dates last year with ZERO fish where in years past I was seeing over 100 BIG fish per day. Jason

Regulate It":3rheulf6 said:
Peter, I have stored my boat and fished the CBBT for the last 5 years starting October-February. PM me if you want my cell number and we can talk - numbers of BIG stripers have steadily declined over the last 5 years, but other fisheries have opened up. I had several dates last year with ZERO fish where in years past I was seeing over 100 BIG fish per day. Jason

The days of catching a hundred fish a day are over,especially for quality fish.The promised land is not what it once was,not by a longshot.

Last year the MidAtlantic Rockfish tournament netted one fish. This years, which was held this past weekend netted 0 fish. The purse was raffled off during the banquet.

Virginia Beach Sportfishing Center has been posting a near daily fish report. Last week, charter captains were marking bait and fish, but none were biting. This week they are neither marking nor catching.

GotChrist?":11d7xdwk said:
Last year the MidAtlantic Rockfish tournament netted one fish. This years, which was held this past weekend netted 0 fish. The purse was raffled off during the banquet.

Virginia Beach Sportfishing Center has been posting a near daily fish report. Last week, charter captains were marking bait and fish, but none were biting. This week they are neither marking nor catching.

If that doesn't tell you the Rockfish fishery is in trouble, you haven't been listening for the past 10 years.

Back