Fiberglass Repair

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NormH

Reaction score
When putting my boat onto the I didn't notice a couple of the rubber pads were missing off of the frame. This peeled the gelcoat down on the center of the keel about 2"x2'ft long. It did scrape a little bit of the resin off but I don't see where it was down to the glass. What would be the best way to repair this? I went by West Marine and they have a West Systems resin and harderner. I have about a quart of gelcoat Parker sent me when I bought the boat. Would it be nessacary to lay more glass or just do the resin then the gelcoat? Any help would be appreciate
Thanks Norm

If your hull is painted, then I'd go for the West Systems patch kit. I myself wouldn't worry about gelcoat if you are painting the bottom, meaning ... making it impervious to water would be mine priority over looks.

Just remember that it can be very difficult, if not impossible to gelcoat OVER epoxy-based repairs, as gelcoat is polyester resin based.

If, as you say, you aren't into the glass fibers and want to gelcoat it, you could use Formula 27, which is like 'Bondo for boats'.

DaleH":2g9dpqag said:
If, as you say, you aren't into the glass fibers and want to gelcoat it, you could use Formula 27, which is like 'Bondo for boats'.

What if the damage is into the glass fibers?

I had the same damage, also caused by a missing trailer pad. Mine was more extensive as I had scraped through the gel coat. I repaired it with 3m premium marine filler, and then finished with Parker gel-coat. I have no prior experience with this type of work, but I took my time and was very pleased with the final outcome. Also I replaced the missing trailer pad, but it fell off shortly after. Now I just make sure I use deep enough ramps not to scrape the trailer. I am planning on installing some type of roller in the future.

I had a roller come off one time, and it scratched it fairly deep. I just used a 2 part white epoxy. Sanded a little, smoothed it on with a plastic putty knife, and reapplied the bottom paint.

Back