Fill 'er up or not?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzumi

Reaction score
Replaced my fuel-water separator filter for the first time. Some say to fill the new filter with gasoline before spinning it on; others say don't bother.

If I skip this step, won't the motor get a big gulp of air at some point? Or will the fuel pump fill up the air space(s) with fuel and there will be no disruption of the motor's supply?

thanks for any insights.

John

I always fill it, cant hurt to fill it put it that way, and id rather have it sucking fuel then air.

Bah ... I've never bothered to fill-up a f/w separator on a new filter replacement and don't see the need to ... but that's just my experience.

DaleH":28lep5b0 said:
Bah ... I've never bothered to fill-up a f/w separator on a new filter replacement and don't see the need to ... but that's just my experience.

X2

x4, just make sure squeeze bulb a few times and fuel is fully in line and running well to avoid ramp or dock stall out.

x5...there is no way an air bubble would move down a fuel line. When you pump the bulb it will fill the separator first and fill the fuel line. Most importantly is to make sure the primer bulb is vertical when pumping so that you get good suction.

windknotnc":d4tvax5b said:
Most importantly is to make sure the primer bulb is vertical when pumping so that you get good suction.
Yes, that is vertical with the OB end UP ... as that is how the internal check valve within the primer bulb is designed. :)

The fuel system is not sealed like a hydraulic system is otherwise the primer bulb would not work. From the bulb to the engine you have about as close to a sealed system as you will get. everything before the bulb is open...ie fuel tank vent.

X6
I alway put it in dry, never primed it with the bulb and never had an issue.
The darn thing is so hard to get to anyway, being that it is mounted in the bilge and you have to access it by a small round deck plate. If I tried to fill it it would probably end up spiling in the bilge and I would have a bigger problem.

windknotnc":pe4j52a8 said:
The fuel system is not sealed like a hydraulic system is otherwise the primer bulb would not work. From the bulb to the engine you have about as close to a sealed system as you will get. everything before the bulb is open...ie fuel tank vent.

I doubt the air is going from the filter back through the vent, so it must go through your fuel pumps and run them dry for a second or 2, not the best for them in my opinion.

You don't have to fill them to the top either, 3/4 or so will stop spills.

I do the same with oil filters also, not really hard to do and just one extra thing that makes the job just a little better, to each his own though.

Try running a dry filter on a diesel engine on startup. LOL :mrgreen:

I have never fill mine with fuel before replacing. I pump the bulb after replacing and before starting. Never had any issues.

I agree with just pumping the bulb. I had to change mine offshore after water problems and after pumping the bulb, she cranked right up like normal.

When we replace diesel filters, they go in dry, and there's a hand-pump to prime them with fuel (its a twin filter system, so the engine is running on the second filter). Ditto with F/W filters. Just pop 'em on, prime with the bulb, fire the engine up. The air gets moved along, no problems at all.

If you had drained the fuel lines leading to the engine, and drained the engine-mounted filter, then I'd say to prime everything you can. Otherwise, the air will go through the lift pump (which doesn't seem to care about running on air/fuel mixed) along with fuel from the internal filter, and get separated at the VST.

Oil filters get primed with fresh oil, but not filled. Just dump some oil in, and the paper element will absorb it. Repeat a few times until there's a little oil sitting in the bottom. The oil pump will fill it nearly instantly, and you don't need to worry about the oil being absorbed, or blowing the filter out. The oiling systems aren't designed to run dry, and with the oil running from the sump to the pump immediately to the filter, filling the filter first is pretty important.

Back