first trolling trip

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gray duck

Reaction score
This was the first trip trolling offshore for my new-to-me 2006 Parker 2520, the Papa Don. Lonnie, Eric, and Mitch were a great crew for many reasons - not the least of which was that they agreed to go at about 5 pm on friday. Thanks guys. I think it was the first trip for Eric and Mitch out of Charleston. Lonnie was the steward of his baits on the port side and he beat mine (starboard side) in fish caught for the day - was it 3-2 or 4-1? - I think I had more knock downs so I guess I need bigger and sharper hooks. My lures looked pretty rough at the end of the day but it was fun to have some hits and catch some fish on some sea witches that I had made. We left the hill in Hobcaw creek at 0300 and had lines in as the sun was just rising at SW banks. It was a nice ride out but there was alot of electrical activity far offshore which we watched closely but thankfully never got close to. Just as we were finishing setting the spread out some barracuda came in and short cut 4 of the baits. One cleared the water about 12 feet off the stern. We rebaited and headed out to deeper water and southwards.
Several knockdowns as we neared 300 ft, only small scattered weeds, water temp 85-86. After about an hour we put boat's first fish (first ever for me on this boat) on ice - small slinger but still sweet. Then nada for awhile. At 0800 we came upon some schoolies (4-500 ft) and we put 4 more slingers in the box and we were feeling pretty good since most of the talk on the radio was of slim pickings. Very different day from last saturday. We kept trolling back into 130 ft and then pulled them in and headed to the hill - nice ride back. rpm 43 speed 28 mpg 1.7
Final analysis:
great crew
great weather
boat/engines performed well and got us
out to beautiful water and back safely with some fish
looking fwd to next trip

Back