FISHING LINE

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parker23.5

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what they think is the best line to use for stripers,flounder and anyother fish in the IRI and the Delaware Bay Thank Tom

Tom- personally, i fish with almost exclusively braid these days. its just so much easier to feel the fish and bottom that its almost incredible. in fact, it takes awhile to get used to being able to feel so much! it can be a bit of a b!tch in the inlet if you get hung up, but i compensate by using long mono leaders, because most snags down there will slice you off before the line will break under strain. unsing spinning reels helps too, easier to palm the spool and point at the snag til she breaks. i use mostly PowerPro, but there are a few other brands and i havent really seen one work substantially better than the others. a few new knots might be necessary, but hey, no better time to practice than winter! good luck to you. :wink:

Jigging/bottom fishing 15-20lb Braid.

Trolling 30lb Momoi Diamond mono

Chumming rigs - lighter trolling 20lb mono.

The reson I asked is I use power pro and it get all tangle at the lock snap swivel? The swivel get all tangle around the braided line and it didn't with the mono??? Tom

tomt":1big2q4n said:
The reson I asked is I use power pro and it get all tangle at the lock snap swivel? The swivel get all tangle around the braided line and it didn't with the mono??? Tom

thats very odd, ive never seen that happen significantly more than mono. maybe its the thinner diameter and increased flexibility of the line? also, what knot are you using to tie the snap swivel on? i generally use a palomar knot and it seems to work pretty well.

I load my reels with 30lb mono, with a 50 yd top-shot of braid. That way, I can load two reels with one 100yd spool. I also attach a 2' section of 20-40 lb fluorocarbon leader to the braid before attaching any swivels, snap-links, or baits. Around bridge pilings, I use the 40 lb, while in open water, I use the 20 lb.

To attach the mono-braid and braid-fluoro, I use double uni (back to back uni) knots. Mono/fluoro gets 4-5 wraps, while the braid gets 7-10 wraps. Works like a champ and makes a small knot that will go through the eyes of the rod if necessary.

Dave

aka

We almost never jig, so my answer is for casting to, live lining, or trolling for Stripers and Blues.

I had the exact problem with braid getting tangled up, especially when fishing with my boys! We switched over to 30 lb Moi Moi mono, usually in flourescent yellow to keep track of the lines when live lining or trolling.

You sacrifice a bit on feel and casting distance, but make it up in time lost trying to sort out knots and taping your fingers after getting cut on the braid!!

Pelagic 2530 The palomar knot is that where you double the line through the eye rap in a knot and pull to gether or is it where in the eye twirl the line run the end through the eye of the line then pull tight. Maybe I will just have to get one all tangle and bring it over to show u. Tom

tomt":14gij3k7 said:
Pelagic 2530 The palomar knot is that where you double the line through the eye rap in a knot and pull to gether or is it where in the eye twirl the line run the end through the eye of the line then pull tight. Maybe I will just have to get one all tangle and bring it over to show u. Tom

tom, the palomar is the doubled line, through the eye, make an overhand, then pass the swivel through the "looped" tag end and pull the other tag end tight. http://www.netknots.com/html/palomar_knot.html probably what youre thinking of with the first one. i think the second knot you described is the clinch knot. i dont like the clinch as much with braid, but it will work, just make sure you leave a bit longer of a tag end. the charter i worked on used all braid so i got pretty good at this stuff, id be glad to sit down and talk fishing with ya if i wasnt stuck up here in NY. :? :wink:

Some guy on another web site said that my bait is spining and I should tie on with out the swivel lock snap or learn how to tie on a leader????

tomt":34kv8ljj said:
Some guy on another web site said that my bait is spining and I should tie on with out the swivel lock snap or learn how to tie on a leader????

what might be happening is that your not keeping enough tension in the line, and the loose braid is sort of free floating around and wrapping itself up. i know we ran into that lot on the charter when people would just dump their bails out and have too much line in the water. I have no idea if that pertains to your situation, just something i noticed every once in awhile. i doubt the issue is the swivel itself, i feel like the bait spinning isnt going to cause the braid to wrap around the swivel, thats what its there for. you might try eliminating the "snap" swivel and using just a barrel swivel with a leader from that to the bait, less stuff for line to get hung up on. maybe worth a shot?

tomt":33gm6goj said:

You need a short leader of mono, this was happening to us when bottom fishing, the leader or rig wraps around the braid and cuts it off or tangles.

A short mono leader, 3-5 feet cures this.

When I was trolling for Spanish Mackeral, which uses a very small spoon trolling at approx 6 to 7 mph I was constantly getting a mess with the Power Pro. I had to waste alot of line due to the fact I could not untangle the mess that would develop.
You can't guess what was the problem: I switched from the cheap swivels to using nothing but Sampo swivels. :p Problem went away.

And braid to mono is mostly personal preference. I have been mostly using braid. Mostly becuase I like to use the lighest rods possible and i can use heavier and get more smaller diam braid on my spools. But braid is more troublesome with tangles and some knots do not work well w braid.

That is the trouble I am having alway getting tangle around the lock snap swivels? Some guys say tie on mono leader some say no swivel and just tie on flounder rig guess I will be trying lots of diffenent ways. I my self don't get tangle maybe once or twice but my wife gets tangle every time she reels in some say the bait is spinning and that is how the line is getting tangle? I gig up and down she let her line outfrom the boat and pulls it a long. Well I have alot of ways to try? I am thinking about just putting mono on her rod if some of theses ways don't work. THANKS ULTRASPORT TOM

tomt":lr65u4er said:
What is the best way to tie mono to the braided line???/

Cairns Quickie

http://www.gtpopping.com/cairnsquickie.php

cairnsquickiesmall.gif

Back