Fishing Poles

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyAmalfitano

Reaction score
Do fishing poles wear out? I see used fishing poles for sale from time to time, but somewhere I think I read poles wear out. I guess reels wear out too? (Can you tell I'm not a fisherman? YET!)

The sticks themselves rarely "wear out." They do get chipped, gouged, or cracked. Any surface damage can lead to a catastrophic failure when fully loaded with a good sized fish.

The guides and reel seats can take some wear and tear. Check to ensure the reel seat is tight (take a reel with you to check), and ensure that all the guides are complete. Some of them have carbide or ceramic rings inside the metal carrier. If they are missing, the line will get abraded/cut.

Dave

aka

Well....yes....rods and reels wear out, just like anything else. However the wear is usually over a long period of time and is usually pretty evident.
Rods - typically the guides get loose, damaged, cracked, lose their inserts, etc. Easily repaired by a DIY with a little practice, or their are many repair shops. Otherwise rod blanks are pretty much good unless the rod has been stepped on or overstressed and then cracks are evident.
Reels - Wear items....lots of small moving parts in a harsh enviroment.....need to be cleaned and lubed regularly. Expect 5-10 seasons from a quality reel with decent maintenance, some people get a lot longer.
I've actually had more damage to rods and reels from transporting to and from boat than I've actually had problems fishing.
Used rods and reels - I love yard sales !!!!! I have bought many quality rigs at near nothing prices over the years and rarely been disapointed. A good inspection is needed of course but no problems.
Used equip from a tackle shop? Depends on the price and history of the merchandise and your relationship with the shop. Used equipment can be a real good deal.
I have even gone so far as to buy good rods with questionabe reels or the reverse and then replace the bad item with new, you still come out ahead financially.
Hope this helps :)

Thank you! That was good news, and just what I wanted to hear. I've never fished salt water, except once on a party boat. I'm fixing to retire in the next couple of years, I need a hobby! There's lots of yard sales around here, I'll start looking!

Back