FL has switched to Ethanol: What to do....anything?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouperjim

Reaction score
Orlando FL is now totally ethanol blended fuels. FL Gov Crist has put the State on notice that within the next few months the entire state will be ethanol mixed fuel. My Exxon down the street as well as some minor gas stations are already ethanol, but it is still easy enough to get pure gas. The Orlando Sentinel said that the fuel is actually being mixed in Tampa and trucked out from there.

My question is, for those CPers who have already had ethanol fuels forced on you, what if anything do you need to do to the gas tank/fuel system/engine? I am assuming that my mpg will decrease.

Run your boat as low as you can on old fuel before refueling. Put in 20-30 gallons first time.
Buy spare fuel/water separator filters and carry them ON THE BOAT. Also buy spares for any other fuel related filter your boat may have.
Run the 20-30 gallons thru, run it hard so you get maximum sloshing around in the tank.
Check, and change if needed, the F/W separator filter and the smaller in line filter under the cowling.
Repeat the the whole process again. You can use as much fuel as you're willing to take a chance on getting fouled.
After the second time thru the process you have pretty much cleared the crud out and should be good to go.

Others may chime in with more detail, but I've found this to work with 2 different boats.

As a gasoline retailer, the biggest problem in my opinion is that ethanol is a great solvent and really cleans out the gas station storage tanks. You'd be amazed how much varnish has collected on tank walls over the years. It will now be cleaned of and pumped into your car and boat. We were advised to switch to 10 micron filters on our pumps, but they plugged up really quickly as the ethanol cleaned varnish off of the tank walls. Some stations chose to go back to 30 micron and let the motorist deal with the junk from the tanks. In most areas, plus grade is the lowest volume product, thus it has more varnish buildup on tank walls and should be avoided. Regular moves pretty fast, so not as much varnish built up. Marinas don't move as much gas as gas stations and I doubt that they spent the money to get tanks cleaned before the ethanol was dumped in.

Water is a big time problem. If your supplier has significant water in the bottom of his tank (not unusual), it just sat there and behaved itself before ethanol. Ethanol loves water. Here's the deal:

The storage tank pickup pipe goes down to about 6 inches from the bottom of the tank. Let's say your dealer has three inches of water in the bottom of his tank. Add a load of ethanol gas. The ethanol mixes with the water and, if the proportions are right, all of the ethanol will be drawn to the bottom of the tank, forming what is called an "ethanol bottom." This ethanol/water mix might end up being 7-8 inches deep or more, so what would be sucked up through the pump is a mixture of water, alcohol and sludge that looks like iced tea. Happened to a station here in VA and about 40 cars stopped running within a few hundred yards of the station. Ethanol is blended at the delivery terminal and it's a learning process, so expect to get gas that is not properly blended and doesn't have the correct octane. We got a load of premium that was actually about 86 octane vice the required 93.

The moral of this story is avoid gassing up in the first few weeks of the transition. Ask your marina if they had their tanks certified for ethanol. It was a requirement here, but there was no enforcement and the ethanol-laced gas was delivered whether you were ready or not.

Use good filters and change them frequently for a couple of months. Every opportunity you get, lobby to stop using ethanol and go back to good old MTBE.

One of the most importatnt things you need to do is get yourself a good fuel filter/water seperator (Racor 10 Micron)

If you have a newer Parker, you are in good shape. Their boats use fuel hoses and plumbing that is ethanol complient according to their website.

If your running a Yamaha, keep an eye on your VST high pressure fuel pump filter. These seem to have caused a lot of problems since the introduction of ethanol. You can find all about the high pressure pump all over the web.

Well thats all I can come up with - Its 3:45 am in Maryland.

andertonm":24vnp4do said:
Use good filters and change them frequently for a couple of months.

Good advice. :wink:

The switch to ethanol blended fuel was a non-event for me (thank goodness).

I do not fill the tank up anymore, carry just what you will use, if it sits you get a phase seperation and then all the problems mentioned above happen. Good luck ethanol sucks!

Latest posts

Back