Flushing Outboards

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tara11

Reaction score
I have been running my motors every weekend in my driveway and getting the temps up and just pretending I am fishing while my wife heals, my question is, anyone have any cool containers I can get locale that I could put the motor in and not use so much water to just run the motors, I was thinking a roughneck trash can cut down a bit or ? I use a ton of water every Sunday, as I let them run for about 10 minutes and put in and out of gear, I may , if all goes well next Thursday at the Doctors office be able to head out for 3 days the following week, but for the time being, any cool ideas, we have the dual muff and it works perfect, just trying to save water if it is possible, but those trash cans are pricy to be cutting up if it will not work, also my port counter rotating prop always spins due to exhust ! So I am open to any sugestions !

I had a free 15 gallon barrel from work. It had liquid detergent for commercial grade glass ware washers. You should check local restaurants and dry cleaners for them. I think the size range is 15 - 30 gal. We bought 15 gal ones so the employees can easily handle them without assistance. Tractor Supply has several sizes of tubs to water livestock but they are not free. We have 30 gal trash cans on sale at Menards frequently for less than $10

One spring I tried using a 30 gallon barrel I cut to fit around my lower unit to flush with. I filled it completely so the whole lower end sat equally as deep in the water as it would floating in my slip. After a minute or two the heat alarm sounded and I immediately shut it off. I suspected that the barrel of water wasn't providing enough water pressure and didn't try it again until I launched the boat. It was fine and has been for the past four years. I spoke to at least one other person on one of these forums that had the same problem with his 225F when trying to do the same barrel flush. I know we used to flush like that with the old two strokes but I think these big four strokes need more water pressure.

stonebuster":1lpzmxxr said:
One spring I tried using a 30 gallon barrel I cut to fit around my lower unit to flush with. I filled it completely so the whole lower end sat equally as deep in the water as it would floating in my slip. After a minute or two the heat alarm sounded and I immediately shut it off. I suspected that the barrel of water wasn't providing enough water pressure and didn't try it again until I launched the boat. It was fine and has been for the past four years. I spoke to at least one other person on one of these forums that had the same problem with his 225F when trying to do the same barrel flush. I know we used to flush like that with the old two strokes but I think these big four strokes need more water pressure.

Um, there's no pressure in the ocean. We run our big outboards in barrels all the time, never had a problem. We've got a 55 gallon barrel that's been notched to fit either the Suzuki DF200, or our F225.

Try taking the plastic screen out of the lower unit, I do that with my F200's and run on the muffs with no problems at all.

Ordered one today, should save water, so once it is here, will take a pic of it in action !

I just bought a 4004, 2120 w/ a Yamaha 200 4 stroke; it has a connection for a garden hose to flush the motor out without running the muffs. The dealer recommended 2 minutes and I'm good. Do you folks recommend flushing the motor in the bucket in addition to the hose? Is it an additional step that will save $ in the long run? Thanks

Don't run your motor on the flush connector.

I flush mine for about 5 min each engine after I come in every time I use the boat.

It was less than $100 delivered, should be here tomrrow, I am watching my neighbor go out fishing and wishing, we may be able to head out after Sept 3rd, but it all depends of the doctors. I got it at a place called restock.com !

I was told that if you really want to get all the salt water out and open the thermostat, then you have to fire up the motor and to do that you have to have double water muffs, but who knows.

Back