Forward Bilge Pump in 2520

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky John

Reaction score
Another little quirk with my 2520 xld. Seems my forward bilge pump will not go on automatically. The only time it will engage is when I turn on the batteries. It does have a float switch, been like this since new but really getting on my nerves as I just hand pumped 3 5 gallon buckets out over last 3 days with all the rain we have been getting. Does anyone with a newer 2520 have theirs wired this way as well?

Not me, but our cabin bilge collects water bc the pump is forward part of bilge and water collects at the aft end and does drain well either and has a flat spot. Toying with idea on adding a pump out hose long enough to reach the cockpit where I can use a hand pump. I would like to remove forward pump and add a pump with hose in a cabinet run by a float switch in the aft part of forward or cabin bilge if this makes sense. Let me know if you find something better.

B2

Both my forward and stern pumps have switches at helm but forward will not kick on with the float unless batteries are on

Lucky John":3beo0f6q said:
Both my forward and stern pumps have switches at helm but forward will not kick on with the float unless batteries are on

From your description it sounds like the float switch is wired incorrectly or possibly a wire was missed during install or has become disconnected. The + wire for the float should be connected to the battery before the battery switch. Here is a generic wiring diagram for reference:
5d867f783f5fa760772bde18a1958644.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lucky John":3lsny3ex said:

Mine is the same way also..... Factory wired that way...... But If It sits in the water it should have power to the float switch with Battery switches Off.

warthog5":2l96103y said:
Lucky John":2l96103y said:

Mine is the same way also..... Factory wired that way...... But If It sits in the water it should have power to the float switch with Battery switches Off.
It shouldn't be too difficult to change that

My 2003 2520XL....same as everyone describing here. The front bilge is not powered (float or pump) with batteries off. Rear bilge is direct wired to the battery connection, so is always enabled. Based on the configuration of this boat (bow is heavy) this is definitely backwards as the rear bilge only sees water when underway, front bilge (again the bow on these boats are heavy) always collects the water. I put a water witch bilge switch in both the front/rear but specifically put one in the front in order to pump it down lower when the batteries are on, however this causes a lot of pump triggering with a near empty bilge when underway (from splashing). You do need to make sure that you have an adequate trap in the discharge line for the front bilge as you can easily get water in the bilge from this line. I put a check valve on it.......just sharing.

I know that pumps have gotten more technical, digital, water sensors, and all that, but don't they still have 3 wire leads? That diagram makes it look like the lead from the float, and the lead from the manual switch, both go to the same connection at the pump, rather than to a brown, and to a brown with white stripe.

PKS1801":3hj8dyk4 said:
I know that pumps have gotten more technical, digital, water sensors, and all that, but don't they still have 3 wire leads? That diagram makes it look like the lead from the float, and the lead from the manual switch, both go to the same connection at the pump, rather than to a brown, and to a brown with white stripe.

The drawing is correct. :)

Back