Fuel additives

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fess

Reaction score
seeking comments on use of Yamaha Ring Guard, and what is the best additive to deal with ethanol?

Launching my new to me 21 CCDV this morning, first a stop to the gas station :D :(

I use Ringfree, StarTron, and StaBil at every fill-up in my 1997 Yamaha 225hp OX66.
I add all three items at the rate of one ounce per 10 gallons of fuel.
Been doing that since I bought the boat in 2003, and she still runs like brand new.

Don't get too caught up on the quantity of the additives as the 1 ounce per 10 gallon rate is the maintenance level.
The shock treatment level is 1 ounce per gallon, so you really cannot 'over treat' at the maintenance dose if you go a little over.

FWIW - I also run Penzoil full synthetic oil rather than Yamalube, which is a semi-synthetic blend.

Thank you for info, sounds like a good plane.

Ring Free and Stabil Marine year around

FWIW, I run Ring Free with every fill-up, but still find a dramatic improvement in performance when I pull all the plugs out for replacement, douche the cylinders real well with Deep Creep, shoot some into the throttle intake ports, bump the starter a couple of times to move the juice around, then button everything up and let it marinate over night. Smokes like hell the next morning, but it really seems to run well after that (OX66 2-stroke Yammy)

I use Stabil ethanol and Sea Foam, Have 90GPH Racor filter and have not had any ethanol phase seperation problems.
If you have phase seperation you should remove all free water at bottom of fuel tank and add (MDR E Zorb) Stabil ethanol & Sea Foam and fill tank with new gas and problem should go away. Fuel tank should be filled at end of year or completely empty to aviod ethanol phase seperation problems.

Is phase separation a problem only when the boat sits still for a long time (seasonal use)? We run the boat year-round, and probably go through 100 to 200 gallons of fuel per month, usually in 25 to 60 gallon trips.

Should I be adding all this ethanol additive stuff, or is that more for you guys that aren't lucky enough to use your boats this much year round...? :)

If you trailer and buy gas on shore yes, ring free and statron for e85. I keep my boat in the water, the local marina sells Val Tech gas thats all I use, it can't hurt to add a fuel additive.. I would rather pay a little up front then a bunch later. I know 2 people who had fuel problems very expenese.

Saw this thread and thought I would put in my own .02 worth.
I have had twin Yam 115s, twin Yam 250's and a Suzuki 70, all 4 strokes. Never used anything other than gas, oil and regular maintenance. Never a problem with any of them either.
I consider some of these additives akin to buying insurance against robot attacks but to each his own.

The pumps up here by me have valve tech fuel which claims to have the same effect as Star-tron. So right now I just use RingFree. No clue what exactly it does, I just know that everyone tells me to use it and that is is way too expensive.

IMHO: you buy a new car run it 250K buy fuel from everwhere never add anything???
Key is to by Clean, Fresh fuel and use the boat

pfeifferj1":c36z22nc said:
IMHO: you buy a new car run it 250K buy fuel from everwhere never add anything???

Well, I have a 1999 Jeep with 262,000+ miles on it and have never used any fuel additives, so I understand that part.
However, I also have a collector car, and I do put StaBil, and occasionally Ringfree in her tank.
The collector spends a lot of time in the garage, while the Jeep gets run every day.

Thing is, there are two differences between the boat and the Jeep.
a.) the boat is a 2-stroke, and the Jeep is not
b.) the boat doesn't get used nearly as much as the Jeep (unfortunately).

Still, I understand what you are saying.

Megabyte":3reckkcd said:
pfeifferj1":3reckkcd said:

Well, I have a 1999 Jeep with 262,000+ miles on it and have never used any fuel additives, so I understand that part.
However, I also have a collector car, and I do put StaBil, and occasionally Ringfree in her tank.
The collector spends a lot of time in the garage, while the Jeep gets run every day.

Thing is, there are two differences between the boat and the Jeep.
a.) the boat is a 2-stroke, and the Jeep is not
b.) the boat doesn't get used nearly as much as the Jeep (unfortunately).

Still, I understand what you are saying.
Got to remember the cars are not floating in water, while the ethanol pulls the moisture into the fuel.

Latest posts

Back