Fuel Consumption

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob M

Reaction score
I have limited experience offshore fishing but took my 2310 DVWA out to the Snapper Banks about 43 miles offshore for the first time this weekend. We had 10 to 15 mph winds and 2 to 3 ft. choppy seas. Ran out at about 26 mph came back at about 21 mph ( a little rougher coming back). We ran a total of 105 miles dock to dock. We were out about 8.5 hours total. Didn't shut the engine off as we were drifting over structure bottom fishing. We caught a few Black Sea Bass and silver or vermillion snappers.

We burned 72.5 gallons of fuel in my 2000 Yamaha 225 two stroke for about 1.45 mpg.

I am overdue for new bottom paint which is scheduled for next week so that is of course a factor. Its been 18 months since last paint job but no visible barnacles.

I just wondered if this sounds like really excessive fuel consumption or about what one should expect.

Any idea what the engine consumes per hour when just idling around the drops?

Sounds a little high, but hard to tell from the data. Let's assume you burned 13 gph on the run out and in, which represents about 4 hours running time. That would account for 50 - 55 gallons.

The remaining idling/trolling time of 4.5 hours would burn the remaining roughly 20 gallons for an average of 4-5 gph. That is also not too bad if trolling into seas, but sounds a little bit high.

I have a Yamaha 250 2 stroke and put a fuel flow meter in this year to track exactly what you are concerned about. Trolling at 3-4 knots is surprisingly inefficient.

All I can tell you is that with my 2-stroke 225hp, while 'at cruise' in calm to flat seas I can get 2.0 to 2.3 MPG, when offshore in seas and winds, it can be cut doen as bad as 1.6 MPG.

Let me ask. Did you run with your tabs DOWN?

If so, and if stock Lenco trim tabs, those inefficient 12"x12" trim tabs can KILL YOUR MPG by at least 10 to20% over a comprable boat with more efficient trim tabs.

I did run with tabs down somewhat to smooth the ride and yes they are the stock tabs. What should they be replaced with?

I don't currently have afuel flow meter installed. Can I just add a Yamaha meter or is there a better option? I could do this while its on the hill getting painted.

Totally different boat, but i took my 2520xl with twin 200 hpdis on its first offshore trip yesterday. did a total of 75nm (35 of which were spent doing about 15 knots in 3-5' chop and 15-20kt ENE wind). 1.25 hours on the troll. burned 49 gallons. I was pretty happy with this since i seem to burn just as much fuel doing 15kts in sloppy seas as i do doing 25kts when its calm.

Bob M":3vlhyxba said:
Any idea what the engine consumes per hour when just idling around the drops?

According to my Navman 2100, aprox 2 gph at 800 rpm from my 1997 Yamaha 225 hp OX66.

Bob M":3d4cs2co said:
I did run with tabs down somewhat to smooth the ride and yes they are the stock tabs. What should they be replaced with?

I don't currently have afuel flow meter installed. Can I just add a Yamaha meter or is there a better option? I could do this while its on the hill getting painted.

Most of us seem to favor either 12x24 or 9x30 Bennett tabs. Do a search here, lots of info/opinions.

I just installed a Yamaha Fuel Management guage and sending unit. Super easy plug and play install. No new holes, replaces your current fuel guage. Try Shipyard Island Marina for parts, they had the YFM heavily discounted recently.

Go to Yamaha website and look for "Performance Bulletins". Although your motor is not current, they have the bulletin for Saltwater Series 225 on a 23 Parker w/a. I just looked at it, but couldn't get link to work. Best was at 4000 RPM, 2.67 MPG. The seas day of test were calm.

Hi have a 2000 2520 with twin 200hp, I run 3200rpm and my speed is 33knots at 21gh, Higher cr is 4800rpms at 36gh at 40 knots. wide open is 48 knots at 41gh.
Thank you
deep parker

Back