Fuel consumption

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knotflying

Reaction score
I own a 2020 2520 XLC powered with a single Yamaha 300HP. I am curious as to what others are getting for fuel consumption. I know that there are many factors that affect consumption. My boat is not terribly loaded with a clean bottom and it seems that no mater the conditions or RPM's I can't get over 2 NM per gallon. Most of the time closer to 1.6 NM per gallon. I fish the entire area between Charlestown, RI and Block Island so I am usually fighting a current, winds and seas. Now that fuel prices are where they are fuel economy is more critical, but not a deterrent to fishing.

'95 2530..Med V.... 12 X 18 tabs..... 300 Suzuki. [3-16-17 prop] 2.5 inside...[Bay/River] 2.0 in the Gulf.
4200RPM - 25MPH

I own a 2020 2520 XLC powered with a single Yamaha 300HP. I am curious as to what others are getting for fuel consumption. I know that there are many factors that affect consumption. My boat is not terribly loaded with a clean bottom and it seems that no mater the conditions or RPM's I can't get over 2 NM per gallon. Most of the time closer to 1.6 NM per gallon. I fish the entire area between Charlestown, RI and Block Island so I am usually fighting a current, winds and seas. Now that fuel prices are where they are fuel economy is more critical, but not a deterrent to fishing.
2013/14 2520 XLD, with 2014 300 Yamaha, 17-T 15X17 Yamaha Saltwater Series II, At 4200-4300 rpm average (28-31 mph) get 2.1 to 2.2 mpg.
(I have tabs, but use them only to balance the boat port/starboard).

2013/14 2520 XLD, with 2014 300 Yamaha, 17-T 15X17 Yamaha Saltwater Series II, At 4200-4300 rpm average (28-31 mph) get 2.1 to 2.2 mpg.
(I have tabs, but use them only to balance the boat port/starboard).
Wow those #'s are not bad. I have a 2015 2520 XLD with a Yamaha 300 Man 2014. I used the above prop the first season but then went to a 4 blade Power Tech to get on plane faster. I think the best I ever did on a canyon trip was 1.8-1.9. After 2 years I've seen my avg go down. I now have 2234 hours and probably avg 1.6 -1.7. I have a new 300 on order for 13 months and to be honest don't see it landing anytime soon. Getting a new quote on a Suzuki which seems more available at this point. I just sent my injectors out for cleaning after 2 trips with horrible mpg at 1.0-1.1 Hopefully things get back to normal before a new engine shows up.

Wow those #'s are not bad. I have a 2015 2520 XLD with a Yamaha 300 Man 2014. I used the above prop the first season but then went to a 4 blade Power Tech to get on plane faster. I think the best I ever did on a canyon trip was 1.8-1.9. After 2 years I've seen my avg go down. I now have 2234 hours and probably avg 1.6 -1.7. I have a new 300 on order for 13 months and to be honest don't see it landing anytime soon. Getting a new quote on a Suzuki which seems more available at this point. I just sent my injectors out for cleaning after 2 trips with horrible mpg at 1.0-1.1 Hopefully things get back to normal before a new engine shows up.
Hi Lucky John, If/when I re-power I will have a Suzuki at the top of my want-list. I'm not dissatisfied with our 300 Yamaha, but from what I've learned/read here on CP, (thanks to you, Warthog and many others) I think the Suzuki is a good choice. (If I had gone through the fiasco with early Yamahas where they corroded, and Yamaha did not stand behind them, I would have never bought another one). Our boat was about 2.5 years old when we got it, and it came with the 300 Yamaha....I've never changed props as I've been satisfied with it as-is. (As you know, there's always a 'trade-off' with different props).... I've gotten the same fuel-consumption numbers for all the 5 years we've had the boat. (1100 hours) Some CP'ers 'questioned' the accuracy of our mpg numbers a couple years ago. I have 6-8 live videos on Youtube backing up what I have mentioned! ☺ In fact when I'm running anywhere, I'm making sure I'm running 'in the slot' where I'm getting 2.0-2.3 mpg... (I bump 2.4 on occasion, but that is under 'non-normal', special conditions; light load. following sea. wind off the stern. current in my favor.).... When I drop to 1.8 or 1.9, I make adjustments to get back to 2-point-something!...

I never saw 2 mpg on my boat ever, with the Yamaha Saltwater II or the Power Tech 4 blade. Never heard anything yesterday about my injectors, but hopefully today. If the injectors doesn't fix my problem I will tell mechanic to do a compression test. If it's a bad cylinder I will basically be screwed for remainder of season. Found Zuk dealer in Tampa with 2 white 300's but they want 33K installed. Another dealer wanted 26.5 installed but 6-8 month wait for the engine. My Suzuki dealer here in Nj was supposed to call me back yesterday as well and give me a price and said he thinks he can get one in 5 months. I'm in a bad place right now.

Reactions: Efx
I always question the calibration and or accuracy of any of these onboard fuel flow sensors . It seems difficult to compare apples to apples when there are so many variables . Are you all using the same gauge? Are the gauges using GPS or pitot tube as a speed source? Do you have the same tabs and use them the same?

I use my GPH/ MPG info as a performance optimizer and to watch for changes that indicate a problem BUT I would not believe the numbers from 1 gauge to another any more than I believe the Lie-o-meter on the dash of your truck.

BTW my 2012 2520xld w/ single 300 did 1.6 - 2.0 w/ the 15x17 yamaha 3Blade and now 1.5-1.8 w/ the power tech 15 x13 4 blade optimized for low speeds we need here on the lumpy west coast. Weight moved forward and light fuel load is very critical to getting better mpg w/ both props . My entire boat is set up as light as possible and any additional weight is noticeable in fuel flow especially at lower planning speeds .

Fuel prices have caused me to start a thread to gather info for a trim tab upgrade that might help mpg along w/ better low speed planning ability , so if any of you have thoughts I would welcome them . M2C.

I never saw 2 mpg on my boat ever, with the Yamaha Saltwater II or the Power Tech 4 blade. Never heard anything yesterday about my injectors, but hopefully today. If the injectors doesn't fix my problem I will tell mechanic to do a compression test. If it's a bad cylinder I will basically be screwed for remainder of season. Found Zuk dealer in Tampa with 2 white 300's but they want 33K installed. Another dealer wanted 26.5 installed but 6-8 month wait for the engine. My Suzuki dealer here in Nj was supposed to call me back yesterday as well and give me a price and said he thinks he can get one in 5 months. I'm in a bad place right now.
I hope the injector tune up does the trick , please let us know. My son in law just did the same on a 150hp yamaha and it runs like new now. Still not sure what caused the issue but all good now. Good luck!

Nautical miles versus statute miles?

I have a 2004 2520 modv with the garmin inline fuel flow meters, running twin 200s. I get 1.8 to 2.0 mpg when i set the engines at 3700 rpms (sweet spot). Running speed at that rpm is about 30mph. That is optimal for me, but conditions do not always allow it.

I have a 2004 2520 modv with the garmin inline fuel flow meters, running twin 200s. I get 1.8 to 2.0 mpg when i set the engines at 3700 rpms (sweet spot). Running speed at that rpm is about 30mph. That is optimal for me, but conditions do not always allow it.
Does the mileage get worse at slower speeds? My XLD is lousy below 25 mph , 1.4-1.5 but it is the deep v .

That's a difficult question to answer because if im going slower is usually because of conditions. And yes I'll burn more gas in bad conditions. 1.4 to 1.6 if I'm 21 to 25mph. Anything below that and I'm dropping iff plane and my mpg goes into the tank.

I never get more than 2, once i get above 3700 rpm the mpg starts dropping. At WOT I'm doing 47mph getting .8 mpg at 5500rpm.

I think with my Mod V hull i get better MPG and stay on plane better but the trade off is a rougher ride in tough conditions.

That's a difficult question to answer because if im going slower is usually because of conditions. And yes I'll burn more gas in bad conditions. 1.4 to 1.6 if I'm 21 to 25mph. Anything below that and I'm dropping iff plane and my mpg goes into the tank.

I never get more than 2, once i get above 3700 rpm the mpg starts dropping. At WOT I'm doing 47mph getting .8 mpg at 5500rpm.

I think with my Mod V hull i get better MPG and stay on plane better but the trade off is a rougher ride in tough conditions.
Thanks. It's interesting because my MPG stays the same from 25 -33 mph at 5400 . Although the motor sucks up the fuel at top end the hull rides so much higher / cleaner the mileage stays the same . I am propped way down to try and stay on plane at lower speed needed here . With the 13 pitch I can now bash through the slop at 18-19mph at 1.4-1.5 and never have to touch the throttle. Are you on the west coast? Channel Islands Harbor?

Thanks. It's interesting because my MPG stays the same from 25 -33 mph at 5400 . Although the motor sucks up the fuel at top end the hull rides so much higher / cleaner the mileage stays the same . I am propped way down to try and stay on plane at lower speed needed here . With the 13 pitch I can now bash through the slop at 18-19mph at 1.4-1.5 and never have to touch the throttle. Are you on the west coast? Channel Islands Harbor?
Yep channel islands. The twin engines is a game changer in our channel. Lots of extra power when it's needed.

I’m about the same with a 2520 and Suzuki 300. Everything I own is always slower and burns more fuel when compared to any identical vessel or vehicle, others give internet performance reports on. Either my stuff sucks or people exaggerate performance when discussing it on the internet. My buddy with same hull as mine and a Suzuki 300 gets performance #s same as mine.
I am using knots so statute miles #s would be slightly better.

I hope the injector tune up does the trick , please let us know. My son in law just did the same on a 150hp yamaha and it runs like new now. Still not sure what caused the issue but all good now. Good luck!
Well the injector cleaning/tuneup definetly helped the situation so far. I went from 0.9,1.0-1.1 to 1.2-1.3. This week my mechanic will perform another decarb, change oil,new plugs. That seemed to help 2 years ago. I am no longer waiting on Yamaha to send me my new 300 after 14 months, I ordered a new Suzuki 300 which will hopefully be here in 5-6 months. All the new engines are good, Yamaha ,Suzuki, Mercury but it comes down to what's available and from what I see Suzuki is my choice, ta ta Yamaha IDK why you can't supply new larger engines for repowers but you will lose a ton of business

I have a 4 blade and Permatrim. I’m lucky to get 1.6. Usually I’m 1.3 to 1.5 and at 4700 I’m doing about 25-26mph (not knots). Same engine, same waters, similar load.

Back