Fuel Filter Question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you referring to Diesel? If so, what you mentioned could be 'climate-related', being in south Florida? For sure, at least your Racor is 'doing its job'!
Our Diesel Racor 500 had a 'pet-cock' on the bottom of the clear-bowl; it was rare I got water, and I 'sampled' from the pet-cock about once a month. I also installed a pressure gauge on the top of the lid (it replaced the 'T' handle; lid-lock). The pressure gauge would indicate when to change the internal filter....
I always kept the Diesel fuel treated with Bios-Bor and Marvel Mystery Oil (At the recommendation of the two, world-renown Diesel engine experts; Bob Smith/Ford-Lehman, and Nigel Calder)... When the EPA banned the additive, sulfur from Diesel fuel (Sulfur was there as a very-important 'lubricant'), the Marvel Mystery Oil is what was recommended as a 'lubricant'/ replacement for the sulfur.
I have a 300hp Yamaha on the 23DVCC Parker

Milky lu oil most likely is not normal. I would address it by 10 psi pressure testing it off the motor at the end of the season. It can leak in 3 places: prop, drive or gear shaft. Bent prop shaft or fishing line are most common reasons for premature seal failure.
Thank you... I ruled out the fishing line; pulled the prop a couple times. I'll check in to the pressure test you suggested.

Whoops, sorry. When you mentioned Racor, my mind jumped to Diesels.... I had forgotten Racor also makes drainable, clear bowl filters for gas. I would replace the blue Yamaha primary, with that type Racor but was told its not advisable because the blue Yamaha is in the battery/bilge area.

Whoops, sorry. When you mentioned Racor, my mind jumped to Diesels.... I had forgotten Racor also makes drainable, clear bowl filters for gas. I would replace the blue Yamaha primary, with that type Racor but was told its not advisable because the blue Yamaha is in the battery/bilge area.
The drainable are only allowed for gas outboards I am told. Mine is in the bilge also so there is some risk. I like being able to inspect/quantify any contaminants. I find monitoring and maintaining the fuel and battery prevent a lot of issues.

Yes, I surely agree with that! With our previous gasoline boats (1960's, 1970's through 1982) we had only a single, small, on-engine fuel filter; even only one, on the Merc 470 I/O... All those years, I don't recall any fuel issues.
With Diesel fuel, although with many advantages, keeping the filters and the 300 gallon tanks clean was a chore; There were three fuel filters on our last Diesel boat, and I changed the primary Racor 500 every 50 hours or so; about six times a year (but, it was a simple 3-4 minute job).....
I have never seen a diesel tank rot from the inside ( CORRODE )
Aluminum rots from the inside usually first
less than best practice installations will also rot from outside

I have some tank replacements in Gradys from the 80s that are still fine

The drainable are only allowed for gas outboards I am told. Mine is in the bilge also so there is some risk. I like being able to inspect/quantify any contaminants. I find monitoring and maintaining the fuel and battery prevent a lot of issues.
CLEAR PLASTIC BOWL FILTERS SHALL NOT BE MOUNTED IN AN ENCLOSED SPACE

whoops sorry i thought i was in the Tank thread

I acknowledged there is a risk. Upon boarding the boat I check the console and bilge for odors prior to turning on the batteries. I soley fuel the boat and check the Racor. Having had a compromised fuel tank in the Parker I am keenly aware of the dangers of gasoline fumes and liquid in the bilge.

Back