Fuel Leak

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFern

Reaction score
I noticed a strong fuel smell on the boat today, and when I looked in the bilge there was about 4 ounces of fuel. I wasn't positive so I sponged it up, put a little in a can and lit it - it was fuel. I looked around the filter and fuel hose but didn't see any source of the leak. Any advice on what to look for is appreciated. Not sure it matters, but I keep the boat on the trailer at my house. Thanks

I'd wager you have a loose or pinhole in your vent/fill/fuel line. Another possibility is a pinhole in the top of the tank, which would be pretty unlikely unless the tank is in bad shape.

I agree with Macfern. I had to replace the fuel fill line. It was a very easy job. The fuel line had dry rotted where the bend was. Good luck.

What year and model?
Did you fuel up recently?

Pop the deck hatch over the fuel sender and look to see if the top of the tank around the sender is wet with fuel.
Sniff the area under that hatch cover... smell any fuel?

The boat's a 2002 2320, and everything is in good shape. I did check under the inspection plate at the fuel sender unit and everything looked dry at that area. As for replacing hoses, I briefly looked at the fill hose area, and I did not see easy access; I'll look a little harder. Thanks for the replies.

I took another look at this today, and I was hoping to simply find a hose that needed to be replaced. What I did find has me a bit confused. In one of my voids the space is empty other than a small PVC pipe at the bottom of the starboard side - the opposite side of the fill hose. I have no idea what this little pvc pipe is for (I always meant to find out), but that is where the gas is leaking from. I do not know how to inspect/follow the pipe because there is no access. Does anyone have a similar set-up. Any advise? I can hardly afford to use the boat right now, and I sure as hell can't afford to let all the gas pour out - tank is (was) 80% full. In the photo the void I am referring to is forward of the seat. You can see that area of the bilge is wet - that's gas.

I do not have the same boat, but I am pretty sure that PVC tube you see is where any water can run through back twards the rear of the boat, I have them all through my boat, the bummer is getting to your fuel tank, I have seen it done, and hopefully for your sake, it turns out to be something simple, someone else should know more than me on what and where to look, but I check what I can all the time through my plates, and best I know, is the gas goes in and out the same spot on my tank, I hope you find the place and it iis and easy fix, bummer :(

I figured the same, that it has to be coming from the fill, overflow or gauge connections and/or hoses. I guess what confused me is seeing gas come out of this piece of pvc. It doesn't help that I'm not sure what the pipe is for - it's not the one that runs down the length of the hull down the center; this pipe is off the starboard side of the compartment under the inspection plate in the photo. It seems like this area should be watertight, not open to the bilge. And if gas has accumulated in a trapped area and is leaking out the pvc pipe - well that's not good. As for the $300 plus worth of gas in there I would prefer to take of few fishing trips rather than transfer to the cars. How risky do you think it would be to use it.

dont run that boat with gas fumes in the bottom of the boat..... take the batteries out very carefully after you have aired it out for awhile then find the leak fix.. then run the boat the little bit of money you loose with the fuel leak wont kill ya but a big boom will... call parker ask them about it...good luck im going to watch this thread and hopefully its a minor fix...
mike

Check the fuel line from the tank to the engiine, I had a similar leak on a 21SE and chased everything to finally find an abrasion pin hole in the engine supply line from the tank where the hose lay on the bottom that was siphoning gas into the bilge. The hole wasn't big enough to cause a fuel problem to the engine but would accumulate gas in the bilge while sitting on the trailer. I replaced the hose and problem was cured,

Thanks for the replies. I looked again this morning and still can not find any leak. I have looked everywhere you can look. So I am hoping it is just a pinhole like Bertuna's, and I'll just start replacing hoses one at a time.

I did lower the trailer so that the boat is level and I still have fuel seeping out of that pvc pipe. I guess gas could have accumulated in an area - like someone said. Hopefully it will all drain out.

My Parker was 8 years old when my tank rotted through. The way I found out for sure was to rig up a rubber plug with a whole just big enough to allow me to inject compressed air (remember to stop up the vent tube) and have someone listen at all the inspection ports. Mine was easy to hear because the corrosion pin holes were on top of the tank. Hopefully it's not your tank.

I had something like that in my Scout, come to find out it was the gasket that was leaking from around the where the gauge sender in the tank is located......found gas, it had like you found in strange places that should not be. when the gas gets in the bottom it went from the aft to the bow through the water drains. I opened all access and poured water through it to try wash the gas/fumes out....after a week and the boat sitting the fumes gas seem to be gone. Dried it out everywhere i could reach, then everywhere layed newpaper around where i could get to to catch the first hint of gas leaking, easy to see than feeling with finger .. I agree on pressure the tank that how i figured it was the gasket....I filled it up undid all the fittings and plugged holes....no compresssor adapter to fit,,,,,so took it out in the full florida sun 98 degree's the tank presssured up on its own from the heat...It started leaking around the gasket.....Now yes it cost a lot to fill up, but its the sure way to get gas to flow out a pin hole in the tank itself, the other is pressure test it in a water tank look for air, of course that means removeing it,,,I dont know where Parker gets its tanks but 50% of all rec. boat aluminum boat tanks are build in Perry florida and i worked at one of the aluminum companys. They are tested very well and seen very few return due to a weld cracking, but it does happen from time to time,,I would bet and hope its just a gasket or hose.....

WhalinDave, how did your tank look. From what little I can see through the fuel sender hole the tank looks great, but I guess it could still have a pinhole or weld issue. I still have not found a leak, and I still have gas leaking out that pvc pipe. When I get the chance I'll tranfer the fuel to the cars and try to rig for the pressure test. How costly was it to replace the tank?
Jfrostick, I am reluctant to fill it up - as I watch the gas pour out. It figures this would happen, I was all happy that I got one last tank full of 100% gas before our last local resource went to ethanol.

Just a quick update. I still have fuel leaking from the limber hole on the concealed starboard side of the bilge. I spoke with Eric at Parker, and he was great. Even though I am the 3rd owner of this boat he spent a good 30-45 minutes talking to me. He agrees that it sounds like a leak in the tank, probably a weld issue. I am trying to transfer the fuel (nowhere to put it) so I can have a pressure check done. At that point any repairs that are needed will need to be completed by myself due to unfortunate changes in my employment this year. I am wondering if anyone has had any experience having a tank repaired. My boat has never been kept on the water; the prior owner kept it in a garage, and I have always kept it on the the trailer, bow up so it drains - so I am thinking/hoping the tank is in good condition other than this leak. I am hoping to be able to have the tank repaired at a much lower cost than replacement. Any thoughts on that. Also, I have been reading up on this; any thoughts on David Pascoe's recommendation on how to replace a fuel tank - no foam, on plastic planks.

Remember that when you pressurize the tank do not go over the manufactures specifications. if you do there is a good chance that you can bulge the tank and cause even more damage, if in fact there is a leak.
If you do have to pull the tank, wether it be for repair or replacement, make sure that when you re-install you put a coat of coal tar epoxy on it before you foam it back in.
Granted it is a lot of work but in the end it will pay rewards because the worry factor will be reduced dramatically.

When I had my boat built I insisted the the tank was coated that way before the foaming.

Just throwing out suggestions>
Good Luck

Tom

before you take drastic measures, take a small set of ignition wrenches which can easily fit into small places and check the hose clamp tightness. I had an issue with a fuel smell when I fueled up only and it was just loose hose clamps at the connection. Good luck...

When you do the pressure test use fernco caps on the fill and vent, check the mounting blots on the tank sender and pressurize on the line that goes to the outboard. Make sure that the tank is empty and DO NOT USE AN ELECTRICAL COMPRESSOR IN THE BOAT TO CHECK. PUT THAT COMPRESSOR FAR AWAY FROM THE WORK AREA>
Also put a gronnd wire from the compressor to the tank to prevent a stray static charge.

Lets be safe so that there are no accidents.

Only trying to help.
Tom

Back