fuel life

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinmantoo

Reaction score
i know this is and old question but, if you add new fuel to old fuel during the season with treatment each time ( 5-6 times a summer ) does the new fuel give the old fuel new life? all of the old fuel would be replaced on a graduated scale,23 wa 160 gal. tank i think, 30 gal added 5-6 times a summer thanks for any thoughts tinmantoo bel air md.

A mechanic told me that gas loses octane over time and by adding new fuel you will have an average octane of the old and new fuel. Thats why its best to run your tanks nearly empty before winter lay-up, and fuel with frsh in the spring. Your avg octane will be higher when adding fresh gas to 20 gallons rather than 60 gallons. During the season with reg. use and an additive your fuel should be fine. If you have real concerns about the octane you can get some 93 in there to give it a boost. Outboards don't like low octane gasoline.

TWOBOATER":39qbge81 said:
Outboards don't like low octane gasoline.
And ethanol only makes it WORSE! They say that the fuel of today only has a shelf life of ~3-months!

That's why I burn it as low as possible and add 20-gals of fresh highest octane fuel that I can get in the Spring.

My experience has been you can run extremely old fuel through a carbed motor, but modern motors are a different story.

thanks guys for the responce, i think i will go low,treat heavily hope for the best tinmantoo

Latest posts

Back