Fuel range for 2320 with Yamaha 300

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A-K

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a trip planned for off shore bottom fishing. The distance one way is about 30-40 miles. By my calculations I should be able to make the trip and have enough fuel to fish for 4-6 hours and make it back to the port without any problems. This will be my first long trip in my new boat and need a sanity check from my fellow Parker owners.

Here are some details.

Boat is a 2016 Parker 2320 SL with a 300 Yamaha and T9.9 kicker.
Fuel Capacity is 137 Gallons of E Free 87 Octane.
3 Grown Men about 225 pounds each.
add another 400 pounds of gear.
Let's say the fishing is good and we return with 300 pounds of catch.

Sea conditions as of writing this are predicted at 3' swells with 1-2 foot wind waves. So travel speed may range in the 20-25 MPH zone (not sure about this number I don't have enough time on the boat).

I think I'll burn about 60 gallons round trip.

Do you think my guesstimate is close? Anybody care to chime in I appreciate it. Like I said it's a new boat and I want to be safe.

Thanks again A-K

I have a 2320 with 250 4 stroke suki. I when tuna fishing to the hot dog. That's 40 miles out. I ran out at 24 knots. 4 men. Full tank. My boat holds 140 gall. We trolled from 8 am to 1 pm back and forth from hot dog to the chicken bone. Ran back in with a x 140 lb tuna. Tank said 1/2 tank. When we filled up it took 70 galls. Seas was flat coming back in. I ran her hard coming back in. Hope that helps.

You probably have enough fuel to do that trip twice. I did notice however that you have regular 87 octane gas, the 300 requires 89 octane (mid grade).
When I run to a canyon in my 2520 with my 300 I burn bout 120-130 gallons. Most of my local canyons are 72 miles an up one way. I usually have 3 men, 150 lbs of ice and a lot of tackle :mrgreen:

With my 300 on the MV I can do a 120 mile round trip on 60-80 gallons, but that's with out any swell. I've done the trip with 1200lbs of footings with 3 guys and camping gear for three days and was still under 80 gallons.

You need to know your fuel burn....

I get 2.5MPG inside......and 2MPG in the Gulf.

Using those figures You'll burn aprox 40gal of fuel.

I do bottom fishing 40 miles out in similar conditions, with comparable load on the drift. Never had an issue, and I would guess I come back with 1/2 tank. I don't think you should have a problem.

For those who replied to my original post thank you. Here are some follow up numbers

Trip distance 73.8 miles.
Trip hours 9.2 hours.
Fuel used 41.8 gallons.

These numbers come from the Yamaha Command link.

However my fuel gage reads I used more fuel, about a half tank. I'll verify this when I fuel the boat up next week.

A-K / RumRunner- out of curiosity, I'd like to see some data points of your GPH and corresponding speed at cruise, say from 4K RPM to 4,500 RPM. I've been curious if the newer series 4.2 has enough fuel efficient advantage that a 300 like yours is no worse on fuel burn than my 2006 F225? If you ever have time to check, that would be great. See attached pic from a post I did a year or so ago with some readings from mine.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    61.9 KB · Views: 475
I should have added that was from the fuel gauge on the command link.

RumRunner":78j20sgk said:
Interesting. Thanks for posting. Don't ever trust that fuel gauge. I always try to keep my tank full.

fuel will NOT be your limiting factor…but, you NEED fuel flow on your fishing boat: it's a matter of safety and planning. I have fished my 2120 w/ yamaha four stroke 150 out to 60 miles, returning w/ 25 gallons in the fuel cell to spare…you'll be fine. But treat yourself to fuel flow management.

So I would like to give you these numbers.

The sea state upon departure were 3-4's with a speed of about 22 MPH (comfortably no pounding).

Returning to harbor 2 foot seas traveling at 30 mph.

Read this:

Other than recording the info by hand I do not know how to obtain the data you are requesting.

Can I get it from the command link? Or have you installed some sort of fuel flow recorder?

Sorry my last boat I ran a old Mercury 2 stroke and I knew that boat so well I could judge by experience how much fuel I would/did burn.

shawnee83":13xdngok said:
A-K / RumRunner- out of curiosity, I'd like to see some data points of your GPH and corresponding speed at cruise, say from 4K RPM to 4,500 RPM. I've been curious if the newer series 4.2 has enough fuel efficient advantage that a 300 like yours is no worse on fuel burn than my 2006 F225? If you ever have time to check, that would be great. See attached pic from a post I did a year or so ago with some readings from mine.

AK - I just took those readings from my Yamaha command link guage and speed from the chart plotter and noted them. Command link with give you GPH or MPG depending on selection on menu.

I'll be fishing in the striats of Juan de Fuca this week. And will post some numbers when I get home. Probably June.

Also, this will be different from my last trip. So I'll do my best to record all data again.

I really like contributing to these types of topics because data is king 8)

Back