Fuel smell in battery compartment

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legal Bill

Reaction score
The boat is a 2005 2120 DVSC. I opened the starboard side cockpit hatch to check out the battery and got a strong gas smell. I do not get this smell from the bilge or other hatches. The section of the fuel line that runs to the engine, along with the primer bulb are located in this compartment. On a quick inspection, I could not see any obvious leak. I'm going to take a closer look today, but if I can't find a leak, I'm wondering if the smell is coming from the bulb, or perhaps through the rigging tube that runs from the compartment to the engine. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I would use the KISS method to start with: really try to keep it simple. It would be unusual for a 16 year old Parker to have a leaking fuel cell… not unheard of, but not usual.
I would start w the primer bulb. But at 16 years old it would be reasonable to replace the fuel
Line, primer bulb and hose clamps- as much as you can reach easily without cutting any glass. I’m not saying splice any fuel lines but rather replace from the tank to the fuel water separated including a new primer bulb….
I’d start there. Fuel vent too.

Thanks. I had the tank replaced two years ago, so I think that is fine. No smell from the bilge at all.

I’m pretty sure it is the bulb and the fuel line coming from the separator to the bulb and from the bulb to the engine. Nothing is leaking, but it looks and feels like the type B material, not type A. I think I just need to remember to open the hatch when I get on board.

Back