Fuel Starvation on my 2310 W/A

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReelTimeCapt

Reaction score
Hi Everyone -

Yesterday I changed out my sending unit with a new Wema one and that worked great. I went out of fish for striper and ran the boat for over 4 hours with no problem. Then, coming back in the engine started to starve for gas. My 1st mate checked the primer bulb and it was flat as a pancake. We shut the engine down and disconnected the fuel line between the filter and bulb and applied back pressure to it by blowing into the line and then reconnected it. This did the trick and we were able to run for 20 minutes at about 3k RPM unitl it starved again. We repeated this process several times to get back to the dock. I would have pulled the filter and emptied it to check the gas condiiton but did not have any way to prime it again on an empty filter.

Has anyone experienced this? If so, what was the cause.

Best Regards to All,
Fletcher

Your tank isn't venting fresh air in to replace the fuel consumed. Check your fuel tank vent on the side of the hull, I bet it's all covered up with salt build up (soak in vinegar and scrub) or mud daubbers maybe made a nest in there ...

Dale:

Thanks for the info. Doing the research and looking at similar posts like the one below. I'll troubleshoot it in the following order:

1. Vent Hose
2. Fuel Filter on bulkhead
3. ASV at Tank
4. PickUp Tube
5. Fuel Lines from ASV to Fuel Filter on bulkhead
6. Fuel Lines from Fuel Filter on bulkhead to primer bulb

I'll proabably go ahead and replace many of these parts. I have to pull them and chek them anyway.

Here's a great CP post that really helped:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=9241&p=65148&hilit=pick+up+tube#p65148

Thanks again and Best Regards To All,
Fletcher

No doubt there is a restriction either in the tank at the pickup tube or the tank is not venting. To check if it is a venting problem it is very simple. When the bulb collapses, open your fuel fill cap and if the bulb re-inflates to normal then you have a vent problem. As Dale said it could be salt buildup or a dirt dobber that has nested in the overfill vent. If after opening the fuel fill cap the bulb stays flat you either have trash in your tank being sucked into your pickup tube or a faulty anti-syphon valve. Many Parkers don't have an anti-syphon valve so the trash in tank is the likely culprit. You mentioned early you blew into the line and it resolved. I had this very problem and ended up cutting a 5" access hole in my tank because it nearly drove me crazy. I found plastic shavings and 2 pistachio shell shaped pieces of 5200 in my tank. The pick up tube screen had shavings and crap all over it. No doubt this was my problem. I have seen tanks that had pieces of foil in them from oil bottles and additives. These have a unique way of working themselves in front of the pickup tube and restricting fuel flow.

windknotnc":19k5ztoe said:
If after opening the fuel fill cap the bulb stays flat you either have trash in your tank being sucked into your pickup tube or a faulty anti-syphon valve.
Yup, and if your pickup or AS is clogged, here's info on how to fix that to: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5274

Been there, done that ...

Given that it's an O/B, you may not even have an anti-siphon valve. My $$$ is on a clogged pickup.

I think it depends on the model year of the boat. My '92 had one installed from the factory ...

Latest posts

Back