Fuel Starvation?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger Tim

Reaction score
Had a wonderful three days camping on the 2120 this Memorial Day. Had the F150 stall twice during the weekend, which was worrisome. Both times it stalled when jumping up on plane after idling for an extended period. It would run great for about 15 seconds then stall. It took several tries to restart. After starting I ran it up to cruise rpm slower with no problems.

First time this happened I figured some blockage at the separator filter might be to blame, so I changed it (had a spare on the boat). I use the big blue Yamaha ones. The old filter showed about a 1/2 cup of water and some slight sediment/goo, but not enough to cause any problems IMO. The bowl an the engine filter is clear with no water, but does not fill completely, leaving about an inch of air at the top. The primer bulb filled it up on the first instance, but the second time this happened the primer bulb had no impact (the air gap remained), yet seemed to prime the system and the engine cranked up and ran fine. No fuel leaks in the bilge and no smell of gas anywhere. In the back of my mind it seems like the primer bulb doesn't get as firm as it should either.

My guesses are:
1) Air leak in the fuel supply system/hoses, etc.
2) fuel restriction due to corrosion.
3) Vent clogged

I live and work in an ethanol free zone and all fuel in the boat is E-10 free as well. Any guesses as to where to look first? It was disconcerting to be 50 miles away from home port and having engine hiccups.

1.)Run it on a seperate 6 gallon fuel tank and see if you can get it to do it. This will eliminate or point to the fuel system.

2.) Run it on the normal tank but with the fill cap open.
This will show if your vent is clogged.

If not those two, then I would bet a bad antisyphen value at the pickup of the tank. But it also may be a bad lift pump on the engine or water in the fuel. Just my 2 cents. Good luck

Thanks for the reply Capt. I guess I'll be dunking her again soon to diagnose. I am betting on the siphon valve. It's time for a good look at all the fuel system components at 400 hours anyway.

A marine engine tech friend of mine asked if I had problems with mud daubers in the fuel vent. I have issues with them in other places, so I'll check this out next. He also said to loosen the fuel fill cap next time it starves out to see if there is a "whoosh" of air going in. This would verify the vent problem.

I have a 2007 150F on my new 2007 Parker 21CCDV.
Love the boat,BUT this motor stalls when I come out of neutral into forward then I restart and it is OK.
I happens either when idling for a few minutes or several minutes.
It happened yesterday as I was docking I needed reverse to work against the strong current and reverse stalled. OUCH!!!. I restarted and a CHECK ENGINE warning was on the gauge. first time I saw this warning.
This problem has been occurring,more and more.

I just got the boat back from service. Had it in for the 10 hr break-in service. I asked them to look at that problem.
The service dept. says they don't know what it is. "everything is working properly and it should go away soon".

Wishful thinking troubleshooting!!
This does not rest easy with me.
I need to count on a engine not to stall, when forward or reverse is
needed!
I had a 150 yamaha 2 stroke for 6 years on my last boat and never an issue.

I hope I don't have a lemon.

Anyone else experiencing a stalling problem?

Thanks Jay

I have the same issue with my 07 f250. Twice it has started to idle rough, the rpms drop low then go up to about 1500. Both times I restated the motor and it ran fine. I have about 65 hours on the engine now and no other issues, not sure what it could be but it only has this issue at idle, and it's intermittent.

blued,

My new boat (21SE F150) is doing the exact same thing, especially in reverse. I think it is idling low (500rpm's). What was your solution? I am betting it is simple for both of us.

ParkerSal":8115agax said:
blued,

My new boat (21SE F150) is doing the exact same thing, especially in reverse. I think it is idling low (500rpm's). What was your solution? I am betting it is simple for both of us.

Dang, Sal, we both sold off pilot houses this past month and bought 21-foot center consoles with the F150.

I went for the deep vee, though.

What sort of performance figures are you getting?

(I mean when your engine runs! :D )

Back