fuel tank sending unit removal

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdbic

Reaction score
I want to pull the sending unit out. There is a lot of corrosion around the screws. What would be good to soak them with? I don't want to think about if they snap.
I tried to pull the bubble only but a screw snapped so now if I want the gauge to work the whole thing has to come out.

I used WD-40, but I'll bet PB Blaster, and a dozen other anti-corrosion concoctions would work just as well. I think just giving any of them a few days of soaking time is the key, before you try to back out any of the screws. Before you start, be prepared for dealing with stripped screw heads. Odds are pretty good if you have lots of corrosion, you'll lose the grip and strip the head on one or two of these screws in the process. See my project post here Fuel Senosr Replacement, for a look at what I was dealing with.

I used micro-vise-grips to remove my stripped threads, FishFactory dealt with the issue by turning the phillips head screws into slotted heads with a sawzall blade. You'll be extremely lucky if you get through the replacement project without stripping at least one screw. I put stainless screws back in.

If you intend to replace the whole unit, make sure you plan ahead and determine your fuel tank size, and order the correct sized replacement.

Keep us posted, and toss up some photos of your project when you're done. The more of these we get through, the more tricks we learn, and the better we are all prepared when we each need to start looking at fuel tank issues. I know that for me it was a big wake-up call regarding Pie Plate sealing, ventilation, and corrosion below decks.

John

It's been a while since I started this but..
Anyway, the boat is a 1990 2310. I finally remembered the camera. Here is what the sending unit looks like. Should this bubble come off and be replaced without taking out the whole unit? This is how my old six gallon tanks used to work, the in tank gauge let you know.

Attachments

• sub dent 001 (Small).jpg
    sub dent 001 (Small).jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 747
I'm still working on it. The ring that goes around the bubble is being stuborn. It's like seems to be some type of metal that was pressed in. Hopefully I'll get it out this week.
That gotta go fishing disease make you put things off.

let us know how you make out.. my starboard tank gauge must be stuck, its reading nearly empty and its completely full. I loathe the idea of pulling the sender but if i have to i have to.

im running out of dockside projects anyway..

Latest posts

Back