Fuel Vent Maintenance

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger Tim

Reaction score
I have had a couple of episodes of unexplained fuel starvation at high rpm and I think I might need to check the fuel vent screen for corrosion or clogging. How does one get at this device? I have the Perko '04 version without cover. Is there another device at the tank that could cause this? Each time the engine dies there is a loss of prime at the squeeze bulb and no fuel in the bowl. I have changed out the water separator filter (big blue one) to no avail. It has only happened twice but I don't want it to occur when I am out off of Va Beach this winter.

If/when it does this again, remove your fuel fill cap.

You'll need to access it from under the gunnel. Take it apart and give it a good cleaning. In some parts of the country, mud-daubbers like to build nests in them. You 'might' even need to remove the end on the tank and ensure you can blow through it.

If that isn't it, check to see if the anti-siphon valve on the tank isn't clogged (do a search on the term, as there's a post with pictures) or even the fuel pick-up in the tank could be clogging. Both of those cases, IMHO, are more intermittant.

Thank you Dale! If there is a mud dauber within a mile of me it has built a nest in some hole on my boat. I have to keep tape over the indicator stream hole or they will block it up within two days... even in cool weather! I hate 'em! I'll check all of your recommended items for my problem asap. Thanks again for the comments.

Tim... Is it the Perko vent with the black protrusion on the outside of the hull, about the size of a quarter and maybe 3/8" thick?

If so, the black portion will screw right off the base from the outside of the hull exposing the filter screen inside.

Back