Fueling issues

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozdogg

Reaction score
CP Family,

Yesterday, at the fuel dock, I was pumping fuel and the fuel started to come out at the top of the opening. This is the first time I have encountered this. The fuel attendant said it was probably a clogged fuel vent tube mesh screen. I did a little research and he may be right. My question is this: How do I check the mesh screen to see if it's clogged? Appreciate any insight or recommendations.

Not sure exactly what set up you have, but I would think he's referring to the thru hull fuel vent. On my boat you can visually inspect the fuel vent from the outside of the boat, and there is access to the fuel vent hose on the inside as it runs out the side of the hull. Check the fuel vent thru hull fitting and if that visually appears okay, then remove the hose from the vent thru hull and I'd think you could blow in it to see if it's clogged or not.

My fuel vent looks like the first pic below although it's behind a plastic spray shield of some sort, but if someone is referring to a screen I'd guess they're thinking of one that looks like the second pic. Dirt dobbers and wasps seems to like fuel vents for building nests.
1672337244534.png
1672337269257.png

Not sure exactly what set up you have, but I would think he's referring to the thru hull fuel vent. On my boat you can visually inspect the fuel vent from the outside of the boat, and there is access to the fuel vent hose on the inside as it runs out the side of the hull. Check the fuel vent thru hull fitting and if that visually appears okay, then remove the hose from the vent thru hull and I'd think you could blow in it to see if it's clogged or not.

My fuel vent looks like the first pic below although it's behind a plastic spray shield of some sort, but if someone is referring to a screen I'd guess they're thinking of one that looks like the second pic. Dirt dobbers and wasps seems to like fuel vents for building nests.
View attachment 35220
View attachment 35221
Thank you, afitzray! Mine is the first pic also. Just remove the bolt from the inside, to remove it?

Thank you, afitzray! Mine is the first pic also. Just remove the bolt from the inside, to remove it?
Yes it should just be the one nut on the back. There might be some sealant holding it in place but mine didn’t have any so it just popped out easily. But before you unscrew it, you might get lucky and see something blocking the outside that you can clean out without removing anything.

Yes it should just be the one nut on the back. There might be some sealant holding it in place but mine didn’t have any so it just popped out easily. But before you unscrew it, you might get lucky and see something blocking the outside that you can clean out without removing anything.
Okay, removed the fuel vent and it was clear. Hoping that I just had the fuel nozzle inserted incorrectly. We'll see next time I fuel up again...

This is common to my understanding. Diameter of fill tube vs diameter of vent hose. More common I believe when fueling at a gas station with the boot on the fuel nozzle. I did the same as you and took out my 90 degree fuel vent. It was clear. I then blew into the vent hose to test if I could force air in to the tank and get back pressure which i did. Someone with more expertise can chime in but it’s something I have to be cognizant of when fueling. I trailer so I am always fueling at a gas station. I pull the boot back and make sure there is room for ventilation and pump slowly. When the tank is low which is rare for me, I can fuel at full volume

Is this boat new to you? and have you used this pump before?
You should be able to fill the tank with at least 1/2 flow without issues. If it burps back at you you need to check the vent, vent and fill hoses for routing and kinks.
It's not something that you should have to live with.

This is common to my understanding. Diameter of fill tube vs diameter of vent hose. More common I believe when fueling at a gas station with the boot on the fuel nozzle. I did the same as you and took out my 90 degree fuel vent. It was clear. I then blew into the vent hose to test if I could force air in to the tank and get back pressure which i did. Someone with more expertise can chime in but it’s something I have to be cognizant of when fueling. I trailer so I am always fueling at a gas station. I pull the boot back and make sure there is room for ventilation and pump slowly. When the tank is low which is rare for me, I can fuel at full volume
Thanks for your feedback!

You should be able to fill the tank with at least 1/2 flow without issues. If it burps back at you you need to check the vent, vent and fill hoses for routing and kinks.
No, this is not a new boat for me. I have used this same fuel dock since I purchased the boat. I'll check and see if there are any kinks. Thanks for your reply.

We had long-term slow-fueling issues with our last boat. (Diesel, with two 150 gallon fuel tanks). We had to 'trickle' the fuel into the tanks; it was a major PITA. After years of dealing with the problem, I eventually found the tank vent hoses had been installed with massive, heavy nylon cable clamps and the hoses were smashed nearly closed/'kinked'. (these vent hoses were 1.5 inch, heavy fuel line hose, and were in nearly inaccessible areas). I was able to solve the problem by removing the clamps, forming the hoses back to the original size, and re-clamping. As TomC585 mentioned, this 'kink' (in my case, builder-installed) was the cause of the issue....
By the way, I've heard folks mention mud-dobber wasps clogging fuel-vent lines... In all of our past boats, I have had mud-dobbers clog the vent-lines on our Water Tanks, but have never had that issue with fuel line vents; the vapor/fumes/smell of the fuel repels the wasps. Yes these were diesel boats; I don't know if this stands true with gasoline, although I would suspect in most cases it would be the same.

We had long-term slow-fueling issues with our last boat. (Diesel, with two 150 gallon fuel tanks). We had to 'trickle' the fuel into the tanks; it was a major PITA. After years of dealing with the problem, I eventually found the tank vent hoses had been installed with massive, heavy nylon cable clamps and the hoses were smashed nearly closed/'kinked'. (these vent hoses were 1.5 inch, heavy fuel line hose, and were in nearly inaccessible areas). I was able to solve the problem by removing the clamps, forming the hoses back to the original size, and re-clamping. As TomC585 mentioned, this 'kink' (in my case, builder-installed) was the cause of the issue....
By the way, I've heard folks mention mud-dobber wasps clogging fuel-vent lines... In all of our past boats, I have had mud-dobbers clog the vent-lines on our Water Tanks, but have never had that issue with fuel line vents; the vapor/fumes/smell of the fuel repels the wasps. Yes these were diesel boats; I don't know if this stands true with gasoline, although I would suspect in most cases it would be the same.
Thanks Andy. What would cause the line to kink? Like I mentioned, this is the first time this has happened to me while fueling at the dock. I've had the boat for almost 18 months.

Thanks Andy. What would cause the line to kink? Like I mentioned, this is the first time this has happened to me while fueling at the dock. I've had the boat for almost 18 months.
Great question! I've been wondering about that ever since you posed the question.... My kinks happened while the boat was being built, so the only thing that changed for me, was me fixing the problem..... I'm pretty sure you cannot get to, nor see all, or most of the vent line? What year-model is your boat? Does it have that fuel/vent regulator contraption?..... Yours is an odd situation, but it seems someone here on CP always comes up with a solution..,,
Some other thoughts; The basics; Fuel can't get in, if air can't get out.
And, fuel can't get in, if fuel can't get in! Could there be something clogging the fuel intake? Just brain-storming here... throwing mud on the wall so to speak..

Last edited:
Have seen a small camera on end of a coil wire fed into a fuel line of sail boat for inspection.
Noticed the carry case had Harbor Freight on the lid.

Great question! I've been wondering about that ever since you posed the question.... My kinks happened while the boat was being built, so the only thing that changed for me, was me fixing the problem..... I'm pretty sure you cannot get to, nor see all, or most of the vent line? What year-model is your boat? Does it have that fuel/vent regulator contraption?..... Yours is an odd situation, but it seems someone here on CP always comes up with a solution..,,
Some other thoughts; The basics; Fuel can't get in, if air can't get out.
And, fuel can't get in, if fuel can't get in! Could there be something clogging the fuel intake? Just brain-storming here... throwing mud on the wall so to speak..
I have a 2021 2120 SC

Back