Garmin 8616xsv ?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steelhant

Reaction score
Have a new 2520 on order, does a Garmin 8616 fit the console ?

Thannks,
Chuck

I'm sorry.....I find this a very strange question.....It appears you have put the cart BEFORE the horse.

What you do is go to Garmin.com......Look up the spec for the unit your interested in.

Here the link with the spec. Garmin GPSMAP® 8416xsv | Chartplotter and Sonar

15.1" x 10.3" x 3" (38.5 cm x 26.3 cm x 7.6 cm)

So you tell us. Will it fit? Depends how it's installed.....But my guess is that only on a Bale mount.......and then it will be blocking view if mounted on the shelf area right behind the windshield.

Thanks, I did check out the specs, but I don't know if it fits...no boat yet, just curious if maybe someone flushed mounted one in a newer 2520 .

Thanks,
Chuck

Not Gonna Happen.....12in is about it.....Why did you order a touch screen?
You haven't read my warnings about bouncing around in a boat with a touch screen and always hitting the wrong spot?

Not Gonna Happen.....12in is about it.....Why did you order a touch screen?
You haven't read my warnings about bouncing around in a boat with a touch screen and always hitting the wrong spot?
Just to agree, and to back up Warthogs recommendations. (not that anyone doubts him! ☺). I was out on a friends re-built 22' CC this week. He had installed a nice new Garmin MFD, with a touch screen. In only a moderate chop it was pot-luck hitting the spot on the screen that you aimed at. When it got rougher, it was very difficult to use the unit at all. In a short time the screes was smeared with dirty finger marks.... In comparison, the 2014, Garmin 1040 XS (non-touch screen) on our boat is a breeze to use even in rough seas. In dead-calm conditions I suppose a touch screen would be ok. We don't get 'dead-calm' conditions very often.

LOL Another gadget to loose overboard or the batteries die at the least opportune time.

I installed a complete Garmin system including radar on my 2018 2320 Center console. I cut the 8616 into the dash along with the radio and controls for my anchor, they all fit great.
I also had a concern with the touch screen so I installed a “grid 20” that interfaced with the 8616, this solved the issue of using the 8616 touch screen in rough water.
so far the complete complete is working great and is very user friendly.

I have a Garmin touch screen on my 2300DV and have not found it to be a problem at all. It's pretty rare that I'm making changes on my screen while running and bouncing around.

I quite agree with warthog5 that trying to work a touchscreen while bouncing around in seas can be annoying beyond endurance. But I have found that the 12" Garmin is more manageable than anything larger. I can anchor my fingers outside the edge of the unit and touch the screen with my thumb. By the way, it looks like Garmin no longer offers a 16" chart plotter with real push buttons.

I've got the 8612 XSV on my 2520 XL and I rarely find the touch screen to be a problem. I definitely wouldn't think a 16" would work w/o a serious amount of overall to the dash. I've got the Grid 20 along side the throttle in the pilot house, and another on the cockpit helm. I'm sure it depends on how you use the boat, but I'm mostly just zooming in/out, or changing screens. And as said already, brace the heel of your hand outside the active area and you can punch whatever you need generally. I agree that if I need to tap a very specific spot while running, that can be challenging, but I rarely do. If I've got a long run to somewhere new, I'm going to plug that in while I'm coming down the river in the no-wakes. I will say I love the Grid-20 in the cockpit; I've got 4 favorite screens whether I'm running (chart only), trolling or fishing in waters I need to keep an eye on (split chart/Sonar), just sonar, and a just data screen of depth, RPM and speed for in and around docks and channels.

Back