Garmin or Simrad

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wejohns

Reaction score
Have to replace the electronics on my 2520. I am down to either the Garmin 942XS with the 9" screen or the Simrad NSS9 evo3. I am not interested in the down vu, sidescan and all of that. I just want the absolute best bottom pic I can get for under $3k. 99% of my boating is for diving and most of that in 100+' of water on natural bottom reefs and ledges. Don't even mention Raymarine to me as that is the unit that quit ion me and an I was never overly impressed with it. I will later add a radar to my unit but other than that I just want the most simple to use but best bottom reading I can get between those 2. I know this may be like the Ford Chevy argument but want are the pros and cons of each unit?

Simrad is fine, but Garmin is still more user friendly.

I NEVER recommend a touch screen. Why? Bouncing around in a boat you Always hit the wrong thing. It's not like sitting in a office.

If you have room? This is what

Garmin GPSMAP 1042xsv [Not the touchscreen unit]

But you need a good X-Ducer..... This thruhull

B175HW Wide-Beam Chirp

Your scanning abilities will really improve and find a LOT of new stuff.

http://www.airmar.com/productdescription.html?id=167

In May, I bought Garmin Echomap Plus 94 sv with older G2 maps not G3, and CV51M-TM Transducer for $700. It is a touchscreen with a few buttons. We like it and has WiFi for updates and add new maps. It is connected to the VHF radio with MMSI.

Screen resolution is very good but other models have better resolution, larger screens and full button models or touchscreen.

Unit is a lot better than the Garmin 545s that I was using.

Transferring waypoints was a problem. You need a 4G to 32G mini SD card . I was using a 2G and it was not working.

We use it for finding deep holes for fishing and waypoints. If weather is bad then for the way home.

I have no experience with Simrad except one of my neighbors with crazy money , raves about his Huge dual screen setup and brand new CC boat, etc. I laugh and say , he needs a Parker pilothouse and have more boating time and less sun burns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do both units work equally well with the NEMA applications? I have a G2 300hp etec and would also like to run the info through the unit.

I have a G2 300hp etec and would also like to run the info through the unit.

As long as dealer installed the NMEA hookup and it's connected to a NMEA 2K T branch.

I’ve been happy with the Simrad nssevo3 12”. I have the Airmar 175M used mostly for fishing in water up to 350 ft. It gives great bottom pictures. You can use the touch screen or buttons and a dial. The link app allows you to link to the unit with a phone or tablet for viewing and control outside of the cabin. I hear good things about Garmin too but have no experience for comparison. I upgraded from a Simrad go7 that I liked as well. I have the 3D structure scan unit on a separate transom mount but don’t use it often.

b9ecd3ea84f6e27a45144ce7ff6d7917.jpg
3ec5e149d947006f0f4b8726f4bcc599.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get two displays, the ability to split information is worth the extra expense. At night I run radar and chart, during the day echo and chart. I have two 9" Simard Evos, love it.

Also, get AP if you can, a world of difference if you drive more than 10 miles at a time.

Dave

djam":17bd0me7 said:
Get two displays, the ability to split information is worth the extra expense. At night I run radar and chart, during the day echo and chart. I have two 9" Simard Evos, love it.

Also, get AP if you can, a world of difference if you drive more than 10 miles at a time.

Dave

I wish I had the room for 2 displays but I don't. Do you have both flush mounted or mounted on brackets? I dove on a boat this past weekend equipped with 12" Evo system. After that trip I am leaning heavily toward the Simrad 9" Evo. That was the best bottom display I have ever seen. As for AP I am one of the few guys who is not a big fan of it, at least not in anything less than 30'.

Just a couple pics of the set-up with 12” evo 3 and go7. 12”iPad for outside.
894d8b8b24a594c6802cba76e292e450.jpg

db5a7699feffac784cd38c2db49c0f4e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know this is an old thread but I have had the garmin and evo3 on different boats in the last 3 years. IMO the Garmin is easier to navigate with, although the Simrad is not hard and does a good job. The Simrad has a better scan than the Garmin although you can easily find fish with the Garmin. For me I prefer the Simrad due to a better screen in direct sunlight and maybe just a touch better on bottom display. Does not mean I think it is worlds better than the Garmin. 3 years ago I had a 23 proline and upgraded my old Garmin 500 series to the whatever the latest greatest Garmin series at the time. When I bought my Parker it had Raymarine stuff on it. Did not care at all for it some I upgraded. I had been on buddy's boat several times and he had the Simrad evo series. I really like the bottom view on the machine, but even with that it came down to price and West Marine had the Evo3 9" system on sale for $900 less than the Garmin. If it had been reverse I would have chosen the Garmin over the Simrad. So like the OP said it is like Ford and Chevy, you won't go wrong with either. BTW I think Ram is a far better truck than either Ford or Chevy :)

I have a Garmin and like it very much. I have a Chevy and love it.

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread but I have had the garmin and evo3 on different boats in the last 3 years. IMO the Garmin is easier to navigate with, although the Simrad is not hard and does a good job. The Simrad has a better scan than the Garmin although you can easily find fish with the Garmin. For me I prefer the Simrad due to a better screen in direct sunlight and maybe just a touch better on bottom display. Does not mean I think it is worlds better than the Garmin. 3 years ago I had a 23 proline and upgraded my old Garmin 500 series to the whatever the latest greatest Garmin series at the time. When I bought my Parker it had Raymarine stuff on it. Did not care at all for it some I upgraded. I had been on buddy's boat several times and he had the Simrad evo series. I really like the bottom view on the machine, but even with that it came down to price and West Marine had the Evo3 9" system on sale for $900 less than the Garmin. If it had been reverse I would have chosen the Garmin over the Simrad. So like the OP said it is like Ford and Chevy, you won't go wrong with either. BTW I think Ram is a far better truck than either Ford or Chevy :)
We have the Garmin 1040 XS (2014) and like it a lot. It is VERY user-friendly; hardly need the manual. I also like the online, and on-the-phone Garmin support. I had bad luck with Simrad back when they first acquired Navico. (1990's?) There was zero support from Simrad; I'm sure they have gotten better as I see a lot of people on this site like Simrad....

BTW I think Ram is a far better truck than either Ford or Chevy

Good Grief......Ford is and has been the #1 selling truck for over 35years.

No Government Bail Outs!

Ram? To embarrassed to call it a Dodge or Mopar.

9200lbs Pulled with a F150 3.5 EB [Thats Ecoboost for you non Ford folks]

Attachments

• 2-20-16.jpg
    2-20-16.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 25
Good Grief......Ford is and has been the #1 selling truck for over 35years.

No Government Bail Outs!

Ram? To embarrassed to call it a Dodge or Mopar.

9200lbs Pulled with a F150 3.5 EB [Thats Ecoboost for you non Ford folks]

I am 62 years old and have own 2 chevy's and 2 ford's and 5 dodge/rams in my life. Niether chevy nor fords made it past 150,000 miles w/o major expense. I have a 2001 dodge I just use around the farm now with over 500,000 and it's replacement has 200,000 plus on it. Other than replacing the AC on the old one 2X and the fuel pump at 350,000 never have had any major repairs. The only one that did not go at least 200,000 was a 1975 model and nothing went much over a 100,000 back then.. So I will stick with my Dodges/Rams. I will say I did not like the bailout either which lead me to purchase my last Ford.

Back